Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

The OHRRPGCE werewaffle release candidate (ZOMBIE) thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's different between computers, obviously. The precision of keyboard control still feels the same as before the update.

The upped FPS rate on the mouse is great.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you kidding me? What are your CPU stats, because I'm using a Pentium M (2005), and tapping the arrow key makes it move at least 3 pixels up. I had to recopy a graphic a whole bunch of times just to get it to stop cutting my walkabout in half. Even when I try to tap it very very lightly, it either results in the keyboard not reading the tap, or when it does it goes up a bunch of pixels anyway.

Same here. I have trouble moving it less than three pixels at any time even if I tap it very lightly.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fast scrolling thing is an easy fix. It will be in the Werewaffle release.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall wrote:
Edit: On the plus side, scrolling through NPCs in the map editor with < and > is now much smoother. Before, it used to scroll through too fast.

Yeah, it (and some more) was too fast in the nightlies. That's because the map editor, as of a long while ago, now runs at the same speed as in-game, so that you can see tile animations at their real speed.

I'd like to improve keyboard precision if I can. But you have to help! How does it need improving? I'd like some help/review of this: '' . bug_title('571') . ''
I tried to get all keys to trigger at the same speed as they did in Voxhumana, rather than make subjective improvements.

FPS shouldn't depend much on the speed of the computer unless you're using something very old. At 2x zoom on my 1GHz P3 (for which I targetted all optimisations), custom eats about 25% when editing a tilemap, at 58fps, and drops to 55fps and uses 55% CPU for a large enemy sprite (I didn't speed up scaled graphics blitting).

TwinHamster wrote:
Umm...'Delay Caption' doesn't seem to work.
I've tried bunches of values, but Captions are shown immediately (when the attacks are used) after each attempt.

I'm not quite sure how long this has been a problem, but I've also had the same troubles in the 7/28 nightly.

You're right. But it seems that it's been that way at least as far back as Ubersetzung.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray, it handles like a dream now (the sprite editor). Happy If it has any issues, I'll let you know TMC.

LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is what I noticed. I hope it's not just me, so I don't look like a total idiot posting this.

1) The music seems to have gotten way quieter. In fact, the sound effects are blaring in comparison.

2) Another music issue; when you leave the game, the music that was last playing continues to play in the game selection screen. This particular issue isn't huge, but it is probably not intended either.

3) When you go to play another game afterward, it seems to take the sound effects from the first game you played.

Meh. Leave it to a minstrel to figure these things out.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jeez.
Maybe more than 2 days of testing next time :)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeRoy_Leo wrote:
1) The music seems to have gotten way quieter. In fact, the sound effects are blaring in comparison.

Do you have a separate mixer for midi in your advanced volume control?

LeRoy_Leo wrote:
2) Another music issue; when you leave the game, the music that was last playing continues to play in the game selection screen. This particular issue isn't huge, but it is probably not intended either.

Thanks for reporting it. '' . bug_title('669') . ''

LeRoy_Leo wrote:
3) When you go to play another game afterward, it seems to take the sound effects from the first game you played.

Oops! Thanks for reporting that too! '' . bug_title('670') . ''

The Mad Cacti wrote:
Oh jeez.
Maybe more than 2 days of testing next time :)

True :)
But a werewaffle+ release won't kill us :)
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Probably the Grand Poobah or something

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much a bug, but something I've noticed recently: sound effects don't seem to be affected at all by the in-game volume setting.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Blubber wrote:
Not so much a bug, but something I've noticed recently: sound effects don't seem to be affected at all by the in-game volume setting.

I actually like that it isn't affected by volume control. For games that use ambient effects (like howling wind) to add life to the story, it gives the player some control to decide whether he'd rather listen to the full musical soundtrack or just the ambient sounds.

I'd say a secondary volume control might be nice. But then the author could also estimate how loudly to record or re-record a sound before putting it into his game to spare the player the need to adjust. Of course, some downloadable sounds can't be adjusted through Sound Recorder, so a volume control plotscript option would also be beneficial if the author knows a sound is too loud, but can't adjust it manually and can't find a better sound to express the event he's scripting.

Either way, I think it's good that music and sound effects are on two different systems.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Minnek
Conjurer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running Linux, been using the nightly builds and now Werewaffle (though I'll be updating to the newest nightly shortly).

The midi & bam are a lot quieter than sound effects, and sfx are not affected by the volume bar - I can confirm this for Linux.

(SDL_Mixer is evil.) Midis & bams will cause ridiculously loud static noise at random intervals, particularly if too many songs are scrolled through at once in the Custom music previews (when selecting a song) or at random times during Game's runtime. Sometimes this persists, and affects all sounds afterwards; sometimes it goes away if you don't play any sounds for a short while, music or sfx. Easy to avoid in Custom, near-impossible to avoid in Game.

Linux w/ SDL_Mixer, not sure on other builds: I'm having strange issues with my map/situational music (OGG format) sometimes not playing. For example, when I use the Teleport to Map debugging tool, (ctrl-f1), I don't have music upon entering the map.

It seems it might also be the case for Teleport to Map calls, though I haven't had a chance to test this. (I'm basing this off rough knowledge of a plotscript that is not triggering music when switching maps using teleport to map; unfortunately I do not have the original plotscript to check the calls, and I cannot decompile it.)

Finally, victory music does not play if there is any music playing for battle. Silence will allow victory music to play, however.

Sound effects do not affect any of these. I cannot speak on behalf of MIDI and BAM, because they seem to have ceased functioning recently in the Linux build, and beyond that I'm not sure if I want to subject my ears to the static that much to test it. Ha ha ha!

No other complaints or problems so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:

Do you have a separate mixer for midi in your advanced volume control?

I'll check, but I don't think so. I think Minnek noticed this as well, so we both have the same issue to look into.
Edit: Minnek doesn't think that is the problem. Read his last post. I can't explain it as well as brainy.

James Paige wrote:
a werewaffle+ release won't kill us Happy

Amen, brother. Cool

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnek wrote:
(SDL_Mixer is evil.) Midis & bams will cause ridiculously loud static noise at random intervals, particularly if too many songs are scrolled through at once in the Custom music previews (when selecting a song) or at random times during Game's runtime. Sometimes this persists, and affects all sounds afterwards; sometimes it goes away if you don't play any sounds for a short while, music or sfx. Easy to avoid in Custom, near-impossible to avoid in Game.

I am not certain, but this may be a problem specific to the combination of Ubuntu and your specific sound hardware. I have been watching some similar complaints on the pygame mailing lists. Are you using ubuntu? hardy heron? What sound card do you have?

Minnek wrote:
Linux w/ SDL_Mixer, not sure on other builds: I'm having strange issues with my map/situational music (OGG format) sometimes not playing. For example, when I use the Teleport to Map debugging tool, (ctrl-f1), I don't have music upon entering the map.

Is this for all teleports using the CTRL+F1 feature? Or only to certain destination maps.

Also, an you verify whether this happens for scripted teleports (because they have a totally different code-path than the debug screen teleports)

Minnek wrote:

Finally, victory music does not play if there is any music playing for battle. Silence will allow victory music to play, however.

Really? That surprises me because missing victory music was a specific known bug that was fixed just a few weeks before release.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the keyboard precision issue:

I've found that when I move the cursor up, down, left or right while editing sprites/tiles, there is no problem with the cursor. However, when I move the cursor diagonally, it tends to jerk an extra space or two. Is there any way to "tighten" the control when moving the cursor diagonally?

8bit
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnek wrote:

I've been having the same problem with MP3s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: