Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Graphic program with keyboard support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Graphic program with keyboard support Reply with quote

I guess what I am looking for is a graphic program that has the keyboard functionality of CUSTOM's graphic editor (such as being able to draw each pixel with the keyboard rather than a mouse). Does such a program exist?
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, God. How I wish such a thing existed. For all I know, it could exist.
Graphics tablets help a lot, but without the control of the arrow keys, it's difficult to make accurate pixel art for me. In short, I too would like to see something like this.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
djfenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone should export the custom.exe drawing program to make it usable with varying sizes and wider range of colours....
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gets asked quite a lot, doesn't it?

In that thread, Calehay concludes by suggesting mtPaint

djfenix wrote:
someone should export the custom.exe drawing program to make it usable with varying sizes and wider range of colours....

A couple years ago, I did something like this by modifying the tile editor to work on any graphics size up to about 100x80 or so (with variable zoom), cut out of a 320x200 backdrop (so you could edit a piece at a time). Jabber wanted it. I don't have it anymore.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually a very nifty program. Thanks for the link.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could probably get clever and set up joy2key to make the arrows count as mouse movement.

just use the mouse with mspaint. use the vista version if you want a bigger buffer. other than programs like promotion or graphics gale, you can't really beat mspaint for pixel art. you might want to have psp6/7 on the side for other things.

mostly just use mspaint though. it's really good. use the line tool instead of the pen tool.

don't use the keyboard to draw. trust me on this.

edit: actually the worst thing about mspaint is the way the palette management works. the RGB values aren't shown at all when choosing them or in the colors, and the color picker is really... odd. learn to pick colors using HSL.

someone needs to disassemble winxp paint and fix its undo buffer to have about 20 ways to undo. seriously, if it had a better undo buffer(something like psp's) and color options and shortcutes like psp did, it would be the perfect paint program.

why haven't the open source dudes made an awesome version???? paint.net doesn't count!
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a free version of Gale, which is great if you're using it just to have a better tool than MSPaint.

Quote:
don't use the keyboard to draw. trust me on this.

I've never understood why people like using the keyboard.
It seems horribly slow. Neutral

And as for accuracy, unless you've frequently get hand-spasms, I don't see how it's going to be an issue.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use the arrows for precision. I have turrets, so my hands are a little shaky. Now if only my eye was as precise as my mind.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeRoy_Leo wrote:
I like to use the arrows for precision. I have turrets, so my hands are a little shaky. Now if only my eye was as precise as my mind.

You mean Tourette's, right?
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. My fingers were all over the place and I spelled it wrong. Ha ha ha!

---msw188 ---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: