Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHR 8-bit Contest!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: OHR 8-bit Contest! Reply with quote

The OHR 8-bit contest has officially begun! This contest will last from Monday, July 14th (12AM) until Sunday, July 20th (11:59PM). Entries MUST be submitted before this time or they will not be considered during the voting phase. You may submit them via PM to Meatballsub on Slime Salad or Castle Paradox, or by mailing me at mballsub@gmail.com

The voting phase will begin on Monday, July 21st (12AM) and end on Sunday, July 27th (11:59PM). The entire community is welcome to vote during this time. The entries will be posted in a thread on Slime Salad and Castle Paradox. You may vote on only one game and it cannot be your own entry. Once you have decided on your vote, you should send it VIA PM to Meatballsub on CP or SS, or you may email me at mballsub@gmail.com

The results of the contest will be posted in the next issue of Hamsterspeak.

RULES:
- Each contestant will be able to make their own custom 16-color palette.
- You may use four max colors per map tile
- You may use three max colors per walkabout, hero and enemy sprites, attacks, and weapon graphics
- You may use 16 max colors per battle/cutscene/title backdrop
- All of these colors must come from your single 16-color palette. Failure to do so will likely get you disqualified.
- Any sound effects or music, in any format, are accepted.
- You may work alone or with partner(s)
- There are no specific rules as to what type of game you can make. Follow the above rules, and create what anything you would like.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Good luck!

Last edited by Meatballsub on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: OHR 8-bit Contest! Reply with quote

Meatballsub wrote:
The OHR 8-bit contest has officially begun! This contest will last from Monday, August 14th (12AM) until Sunday, July 20th (11:59PM).

Woa woa woa... Wait a second. I think you mean July 14th until August 20th.
If you have a time machine, man, you gotta share that thing!
I want to go back and visit Abraham Lincoln!

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pissed off! Sorry about that. The contest was originally slated for August, which is why it is like that.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok, man. I can understand how one would overlook such a minute detail, especially when they are working really hard on a game and planning said contest. May you get many entries. Happy

Just so everyone is clear, it all takes place in the month of July. He editted his first post.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should have named it the 2bpp contest imo

the maptiles can only be four colors as long as one of those is black
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Multicolored Wizard is actually right. The sprites and tiles ARE 2bpp in color depth.

8-bit comes from the data bus capability of the processors used on the NES and Game Boy, and since everything is running through an 8-bit processor, naturally the global color palette (the master palette sub palettes choose from) is 256 colors to choose from. People associate graphics with the processor, and has become the association since the Nintendo 64 days.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entering, but I'd like to point out that there are bugs with importing master palettes in Voxhumana that are fixed in the nightlies. I've forgotten exactly, but it looks like the bug was bigger than what I wrote in whatsnew. I can't find a working workaround for voxhumana.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you readers have the time, I would suggest entering into this contest. Pretty much everyone that has entered thus far has had a fun time working on their projects. Happy
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Remember that the contest ends at 11:59PM EST tomorrow (Sunday) night. I must have your download links before then. Also, if you would like for me to add your own synopsis with the download link as well as any additional notes (such as if one will need the nightlies to play your game, etc), make sure you send them to me via PM on Castle Paradox or Slime Salad.

Make sure before you send it that your entry abides by the graphical rules. I have mistakingly used too many colors on some tiles and had to go back and change it later on. Remember, four MAX colors per tile (seven if you have a walkabout on it). If you fail to do this your game will not be voted on.

Voting will begin Monday morning (27th) at 12AM EST.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=915

There we go.

We would've been on time, but we had a last minute snafu trading the file, and had to redo 4 hours worth of work in one. Is there any way we could take a penalty and still be in? I mean, if the other contestants didn't mind?

Also: I've noticed a few times the typewriter style textboxes seem to freeze up. If enter doesn't advance them, try either shift key, and it should work just dandy.

(Crossposted from SlimeSalad!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: