Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Oh(r) memories...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What was the first version of OHRRPGCE you used?
Voxhumana
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Ubersetzung
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Hasta-la-qb
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Serendipity, Serendipity+, or Tirgoviste
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rusalka, Quaternion, or Ozarks
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Handshake, Wolfwood, Espereble, or Paternoster
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
2001-2002 (Edit global text, Steal, Status effects finally)
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
The ones after James added plotscripting or vehicles or %based attacks (2000ish)
29%
 29%  [ 14 ]
The one with 4 maps
41%
 41%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 48

FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komera wrote:
FyreWulff wrote:
Komera wrote:
djfenix wrote:
I kinda miss the days of OHR "companies" or groups (RedMurdock, Heroists, etc)

Heroists are currently called RPGCreations.

No, they aren't.

Rinku is.

No, as in they didn't rename themselves to that. Unless they retroactively named themselves back in 1997.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of miss the days of Zantetsuken, before the whole "This is a game design community: Nothing but Game Design!" thing kicked in. The general discussion was always awesome, I'll never forget the "Killing Xylophone Horses" thread. Some called it spam, I called it fun. Guys like Hobo General, and Excalibur were crazy in the nicest of ways, and the Philosophy/Theology board housed some of the great debates of the 20th century.

I also really miss Black Sheep:OHR. Scyree and everyone wrote some really funny stuff for that in all of it's incarnations. That's the problem with the community now, nobody knows anyone enough to make fun of them. People work better when they're trying to impress each other, and that just isn't happening. I wonder sometimes how many games were created in the old RedMurdock vs. Almost anybody else wars. Probably not many, but the great thing about memories is that you get a chance to revise history to how it should've been.

IRC always got blamed for the lack of game making in the community, and it's weird now that #OHRRPGCE is dead that the productivity hasn't improved. Way back when I first started, #OHRRPGCE was packed full of guys, and there was always talking and joking going on. It always seemed to pick up though, between 4 o'clock and dinnertime, when everyone got out of school. The community really lost a lot when all the ops from the days of old left, and nobody really stepped in to take their place.

I find it surprising that there hasn't been a real life meeting of OHR personalities since ChaosNyte,Harlock, Eldritch, somebody else, and got together sometime in 2001? 2002? It was the year that Zant switched formats, and half of the pictures were lost. I always figured that'd be the start of a trend. I wonder if the Op:OHR archive is still hosted somewhere on CP.

Somebody mentioned RedMurdock awhile ago. It's still around, but World of Warcraft has really taken a toll. I imagine we probably have a branch office in Brittania, or Azeroth, or wherever by now.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that first Zantetsuken board had an epic format. I still remember how everyone just made threads without content and then all threads said "no message" behind them but if you read the thread titles in order it gave a discussion.

There were also a few threads with messages but I never bothered to click them.
Gizmog1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: I agree with what Rya said Reply with quote

nt
Komera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff wrote:
Komera wrote:
FyreWulff wrote:
Komera wrote:
djfenix wrote:
I kinda miss the days of OHR "companies" or groups (RedMurdock, Heroists, etc)

Heroists are currently called RPGCreations.

No, they aren't.

Rinku is.

No, as in they didn't rename themselves to that. Unless they retroactively named themselves back in 1997.

I mean yes as in they all got up and went over there, and I haven't seen "Heroist" thrown about since then.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmog1 wrote:
That's the problem with the community now, nobody knows anyone enough to make fun of them.

I'm trying my hardest! But one man trolling everyone else in his games won't cut the mustard.

The Giz wrote:
I wonder if the Op:OHR archive is still hosted somewhere on CP.

It is, but the only link to it I can find is on the OHR wiki. I still go there from time to time to look for games not found on CP. That's how I found OHR Typewriter and SMASHing Adventure.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmog1 wrote:
I sort of miss the days of Zantetsuken, before the whole "This is a game design community: Nothing but Game Design!" thing kicked in. The general discussion was always awesome, I'll never forget the "Killing Xylophone Horses" thread. Some called it spam, I called it fun. Guys like Hobo General, and Excalibur were crazy in the nicest of ways, and the Philosophy/Theology board housed some of the great debates of the 20th century.

Why aren't you on Surlaw Forums or Slime Salad? Both of those have active general discussion forums.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to temporarily hijack this thread:

OHR Typewriter isn't on the gamelist here? I'll fix that.

As for Moogle's question, I'll probably join there eventually. I lurk on Slime Salad and Surlaw's Forum, but I'm kinda nervous about joining where I'm a moron half of the time. That's another memory I forgot, actually. Lurking on Zant, and #OHR, and even the OHR "Help Me!" Forums for months before I had the gumption enough to post.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I lurked for almost a year before registering here. I lurked for about six months on Surlaw's forum before joining there. I lurked for about a month before joining Slime Salad. In fact, I usually lurk a while before joining anything.

The reason for me isn't that I'm afraid of seeming stupid(if I had that fear I'd never post at all), it's that I'm extremely shy.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other forums are even more scary than this one. :x
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See.
Fortis
don't make me come over there

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Man, that first Zantetsuken board had an epic format. I still remember how everyone just made threads without content and then all threads said "no message" behind them but if you read the thread titles in order it gave a discussion.

There were also a few threads with messages but I never bothered to click them.

You broke that layout CONSTANTLY with your stupid No Text discussions with other dopes. It was a horrible format.

I feel like the 4 map limit was the greatest thing, it seemed like people put more effort into their games with less space to work with. I remember sending James my game and being like "I'LL GET ORIGINAL MUSIC I SWEAR", I was elated when he sent me the full version.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually because many people plan games that are to big for them to handle. A strong limitation opens up a clearer part to a successful game. It reminds me of some movies like "Cube" that was only created because there was only a single square room available for the filming and it was still awfully successful.

Without a forced limitation the player needs to learn himself to limit his "game planning". Like by thinking "I need to express my message within a max one hour long game".
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is actually because many people plan games that are to big for them to handle. A strong limitation opens up a clearer part to a successful game. It reminds me of some movies like "Cube" that was only created because there was only a single square room available for the filming and it was still awfully successful.

That's so true. Too many times have I gotten caught up in making a game too epic, and you really have to scale it back some time. It makes a lot of sense to set up limitations for yourself ahead of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: