Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

My sincere apologizes - CP Downtime

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: My sincere apologizes - CP Downtime Reply with quote

Update 10/20/07: Currently, Verizon is taking far longer than it should to re-enable my DSL account (1 month is beyond unreasonable, as far as I'm concerned). I have worked out a temporary solution, which may change again in the next few days. This current solution, which utilizes port forwarding, is a major pain from my administrative end. Hopefully I can get the horrible redirect to temp.castleparadox.com:8125 removed soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very sorry about these past few days, maybe even weeks (depending on when the site comes back up).

Over the past few years, my family has been running a business out of the house. It just so happens that the primary business phone line coincides with CP's DSL line. On Monday, October 8th, the business finally moved out of the house and into an office building, taking the primary phone number with it.

We purchased a new number for our 2nd house line. No physical lines were run, but there was paperwork and processing involved in doing this transition. It also meant CP's DSL line needed to transfer. Verizon assured us that the transition would be smooth, and it was for the most part. However, I do not buy DSL service directly through Verizon, and my provider requires that my new phone line appear as active in its database before they can process my transfer.

The line went active that Monday, the database, however, showed no number. Even the office DSL was up and running by lunch. Until that change occurred, CP remained offline.

Again, I'm very sorry for the excessive downtime. I was led to believe it would be a minimal impact change, especially considering it's not a new physical line, just a routing issue.

~IM
Delicious!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, what about the squirrelmail? will that eventually work again?
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raekuul wrote:
so, what about the squirrelmail? will that eventually work again?

Yeah, that will eventually. As of right now, I have not spent the time to make the squirrelmail pages accessible because e-mail is still not getting through to the server. I'm also really sorry to those of you using CP as your primary e-mail account.

I am looking into backup e-mail services to prevent total e-mail loss like we've been experiencing these past 2 weeks. I've come across quite a few caching relay servers, which would hold our e-mails for a short time while the server is down (7 days usually). If the server does not come back online within that window, it throws mailer daemons back at the sender. I am still looking for a more robust solution that will allow for some sort of web access to e-mails while the server is down. That way we aren't worrying about the e-mails we're potentially missing.

You do bring up another point I forgot to mention. Due to the current setup, I am struggling to get subdomains working properly.
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank god its back online, i thought cp was dead for good Sad....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean it isn't?

IM, why not switch to a paid server and just avoid all this head/heart-ache? You could probably host CP on someplace like 1and1.com for like 3 dollars a month (and I'm sure people here would be willing to donate to that).
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinku wrote:
You mean it isn't?

IM, why not switch to a paid server and just avoid all this head/heart-ache? You could probably host CP on someplace like 1and1.com for like 3 dollars a month (and I'm sure people here would be willing to donate to that).

I genuinely enjoy it, Rinku. The cost of hosting has never been an issue for be because the knowledge I continue to learn as a result of hosting far exceeds the price point. There is definitely a need for a secondary server outside my house. I do not want a virtual private server, though. I want complete control of whatever box I buy. Before I go out and purchase a remote server, though, I need to figure out the logistics behind fallback and recovery.

This was an extreme case, though. I won't be transferring my DSL line every few months. Hardware failure, power outages, and ISP issues bring CP offline. Up until this month, my ISP had a great track record. In fact, I've replaced CP's hard drives more often than I've called DSL Extreme regarding connection issues. In fact, hardware failure is the primary cause of CP's collective downtime
I'm an idiot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least people will know what's going on.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, CastleParadox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: