Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hey guys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of an idea I had for a walkman type device that would measure body heat, odor, voice tone, etc, and play a song according to the wearer's mood. It would be neat, but it would be something of a waste of pricy technology. But I'm afraid it would offend people who don't bathe often by going "BEEEE-YOOOOOH!!" or effeminate men with "She's a lady! Whoa-whoa-whoa she's a lady!"

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. See Blaze, we're talking about video games here, where the visual aspect of the game is very important. Look up interviews from character designers for games. You'll find that they're told what characters will be in the game, and what they're like. Based on those descriptions, they character designer creates the character, and usually makes their clothing have some sort of representation of that characters personality, or involvement in the story.

The facts of life don't apply when it comes to making games. Good designers try to be rather creative with their designs. This is the reason why I like only console RPGs (Or games for that matter), and hate every single PC game...

North American game designers always lean towards realism. They are NEVER creative with their designs, as they always look like some other character created before (Who's seen the guy that has no shirt on (And if he does, it's white and doesn't have sleeves), tatooed all over, tattered shorts that are usually brown/orange/puke green, with a belt that may have a skull or two on it, and pair of leather wrists. And has a lot of musles. Can't forget those. His head varies slightly, where he's either bald with a tatoo, or has short hair that isn't in any particular style. The head itself looks stupid itself because it just isn't shaped right. Next, throw a scar or two on him with the possibility of him having a blind eye, and you got yourself your own homebrewed PC character!!). They always use dark colors, like black, gray, and brown. They over use skulls (And WHY? Does every game designer in North America have some sort of morbid personality?!). In the end you get awful designs that LITERALLY give me headaches... Their designs are just ugly.

Because the visuals are so important, the usage of color is too. Just why IS Zidanes clothing teal and blue? Why is Garnet wearing yellow? Why do the clothing of the three female characters in Final Fantasy VIII consist of the primary colors? Why is Aeris' clothing pink? Or why has Ryu in Breath of Fire worn white (I don't believe Dragon Quarter counts. If it was a main part of the series it would have been called "Breath of Fire V")? Can you honestly tell me they have those colors "just because"? That the designer just said "Ah, what the hell"? There's no WAY you can say that characters in a video game have the colors and clothing in their designs just for the fun of it.

So... That's character design for ya.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cube, you should know that. They use skulls because skulls are EVIL! And EVIL! means COOL! And if a game is COOL! then lots of people who want to be COOL! but in reality just sit in their room playing COOL! games will buy the COOL! game. And the game company will make lots of MONEY! Which is COOL! for them. Even though the game SUCKS! and plays exactly like every other COOL! game that they released!
The problem with American companies is that they do not try for originality. Every game is the same, and is rushed for production just so they can make larger fourth-quarter profits, so that their stocks will go up, and their shareholders and executives will get richer, allowing them to produce yet another overpriced, big budget SHIT GAME!
Their games aren't really realistic, either. I mean, sure, they're set in realistic environments, but the characters, the plots, they suck. No one on this planet would act like the main character of a first person shooter in such a situation. Even the toughest soldier in the military would probably shit his pants if he saw a bunch of terrorists running at him, using advanced tactics and armed with modified AK-47s and grenades, while he had nothing but a combat knife. The American designers focus on realism in terms of graphics and physics, while the GOOD designer focuses on MAKING A GOOD GAME.
Okay, ranting off-topic is over.
But if you want to see a good article that makes a similar point to what I have said, go to www.the-underdogs.org and click on "Scratchware" in their sidebar. It's a damn fine article.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off:
MCW wrote:
Blazes Battles Inc. wrote:

clothes don't meld with their personality.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

MCW wrote:
Blazes Battles Inc. wrote:

As long as it's not torn and doesn't have foul language or references to popular people, I'll wear it.

*ahem*

...and once again, you've made no argument for how my clothes meld with my personality. I don't wear clothes like that because I believe it's idiotic, and that reflects my personality (although we aren't talking about what is on what you wear, we're talking about colors), but it doesn't mean if I put on a torn T-shirt with foul language in reference to popular people it will meld with me and change me forever.

Now then,
planethunter wrote:
(PART 1)So at least choose clothes
that reflect the character.

(then some text I don't need to argue with)

(PART 2)oh and blazes battles inc. : first off if hero's clothes look different to you
then that does not actually mean that the are different in the game.
I mean no matter how strange their clothes are, it might still be the
norm.

(PART 3) Besides such original clothing should be praised, I mean would
you like if every game character you played as wore blue jeans and
a white t-shirt?

(PART 4)The reason why most people play games is to escape,
to escape from the normalities that is boring real life

(PART 1) What I'm saying is colors don't HAVE personalities. When you start thinking they do, that's how things evolved into discrimination against black people. "They are darker than us, and therefore must be evil! Ahh!" I personally don't feel that if I see a person wearing a red shirt every day of their life it means they're aggressive. In fact, I know people who always wear 'angry' colors (though not always the same one) because they like them, but they aren't angry people.

(PART 2) I'm sorry, I really don't know what you're talking about there. The clothes someone is wearing looks the same to me as anyone else (Okay, okay, technically they'll appear as slightly different shades of color, and they may have a clearer image since I have incredibly poor eyesight. I think you know what I mean, though.)

(PART 3) I have nothing against originality. I never said I did. I think someone's clothes should be original in a game, but it's obvious a person's clothes doesn't have to reflect their personality. It could reflect simply what they like to wear, or what they want to be known as. If a meek person wears leather jackets and a bunch of jewelry to fit in with a crowd, it doesn't mean that it reflects their personality is punkish (or anything else that can fit leather jackets and jewelry, which is a lot).

(PART 4)You could just say that with ANYTHING THAT IS FUN TO A PERSON. People play card games to escape from the normal tedious activities of everyday life. That doesn't really help your argument.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next,
Cube wrote:
(PART 1) Yeah. See Blaze, we're talking about video games here, where the visual aspect of the game is very important. Look up interviews from character designers for games. You'll find that they're told what characters will be in the game, and what they're like. Based on those descriptions, they character designer creates the character, and usually makes their clothing have some sort of representation of that characters personality, or involvement in the story.

(PART 2) The facts of life don't apply when it comes to making games. Good designers try to be rather creative with their designs. This is the reason why I like only console RPGs (Or games for that matter), and hate every single PC game...

(text I don't need to argue with because I believe it for the most part)

(PART 3) Because the visuals are so important, the usage of color is too. Just why IS Zidanes clothing teal and blue? Why is Garnet wearing yellow? Why do the clothing of the three female characters in Final Fantasy VIII consist of the primary colors? Why is Aeris' clothing pink? Or why has Ryu in Breath of Fire worn white (I don't believe Dragon Quarter counts. If it was a main part of the series it would have been called "Breath of Fire V")? Can you honestly tell me they have those colors "just because"? That the designer just said "Ah, what the hell"? There's no WAY you can say that characters in a video game have the colors and clothing in their designs just for the fun of it.

(PART 1) If that's the way they want to do things, so be it. However it doesn't mean that ALL art or game designers work the same way just because a select few do, nor does it mean specifically and only color.

(PART 2) The facts of life can make a game better... but I agree that I wouldn't like many of them in an RPG. I don't want to have to buy food three times a day, or rest all the time, or actually engage in lengthy conversations with townspeople NPCs. However, since we ARE talking about colors here, I'd just like to say that someone's general conceptions of colors aren't true, because first off, there's no way of proving it, and second off, plenty of people think of colors differently. And if you want to talk about them being creative with their designs... then why the hell do they keep working with old beliefs about a colors personality? That's UNBELIEVABLY uncreative. It's like they can't come up with an idea of what to do themselves.

(PART 3) I'm not saying just for the hell of it, although I can see how that COULD be interpreted from what I've been saying. I'd like to clarify now. I don't think choice of colors should be done randomly. I don't think Zidane would've looked good in a pink and black polka dotted suit with bright green stripes on the sleeves. I AM saying that he would've looked good in a variety of colors and outfits (although I'm sure his normal outfit wouldn't have looked good in different colors). There have been plenty of repeated personalities in RPGs, but they don't always wear the same clothes and colors. Why? Because there's no definite way it HAS to be. Can you honestly tell me that you can't picture Zidane looking good in ANY other color with a different outfit? I'll be surprised, since you should be creative enough to put a different pair of clothes to that face and personality that still looks good.

*NOTE* If I didn't argue with something you said, it's because either I didn't have anything argue about or because whatever I did was only, say, sixteen words long.
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Definitions Reply with quote

I think part of the argument here comes into what it means for a color to have a personality. Obviously, the color does not physically have a personality. I don't think that that is what the 'for color' side is arguing. Nevertheless, it's tricky to say something like "I don't think that people's general conceptions of colors are true because it cannot be proven." Of course it cannot be proven, but it is true that many people share certain conceptions of colors. While that doesn't make the conception itself true per se, it does mean that if you are making a game that you expect other people to play, you have to respect the fact that on average, most people will see a character in a white cape as somehow pure, or at least as attempting to look pure. If you (Blazes Battles Inc.) don't believe that this is true, I'm sure that there are many psychology studies to back this claim up. Sure, all psychology studies of this type are just probability, but by that reasoning so are many other things that most programmers count on (green grass is somehow nicer than dead, yellow/brown grass; it's not a truth, but you can count on that impression in players more or less all of the time).
However, I believe you're correct in saying that the color-personality matches are not necessary. I don't think that Cube meant to make it sound so strict in his post about character-designers; the point is, conceptions of colors do exist, and they are used often, but if a character should look another way for another reason, that's no reason to change his personality just to match up with his colors. At least, that's what I think, I don't want to sound like I am speaking for Cube here.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have much to argue with there. I think you're the perfect middle ground here... but yes, conceptions of colors do exist with plenty of people, and they are used often, I'm not arguing either of those. The whole thing got started when Octopussy said that the monk was blue because it's a soft color. Of course, the argument didn't start RIGHT then, but that's what led to it. What I'm saying in context to that is that you shouldn't just make someone wear a certain color because of one of their qualities. And although many people do thing of blue as a calmer color than red, you have to remember that not everyone does. Other people may see things differently, or not see colors of having personality qualities at all (like me). So when everyone started talking about how different shades of blue convey different feelings and stuff... I wanted to say that not everyone thinks that, so if you're going to have a lot of color-symbolism in your game like that it's not going to fly with a lot of people. When I think of blue, I think of water. Red, apples. Green, grass. Yellow, sun. White, paint. And it goes on like that. Personally, I think using numerous colors looks best, because it's MUCH more interesting and there's a lot more room for it to be memorable or at least unique.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: