Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

For the Welcome Wagon/ Newsletter Email
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works fine on my 56k

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Nooby McButts!

*ahem*

I tried to see if Inferior Minion was on IRC, but failed. I don't plan on PM'ing him since Battleblaze already did, most likely (there's no reason not to, heh).

Still, even with more admins/mods, Spambots will still be a problem, as stated by this forum thread, and they have 3 times as many mods as this forum does. The best thing to do is to ignore the spam bots and let the community run itself. If someone ends up causing enough trouble that it warrants a mod's attention, then enough people will probably end up PM'ing the mod where it floods his inbox.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't PM him McButts...I never PM him....It's always just an odd coincidence that whenever I summom IM he always gets the message.

<l333t>Its reeel magjik d00d</l33t>

-squall
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pwned...

Except for the part where I talk about Spambots likely continuing to exist.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.

Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they'll get deleted, but we can't rush the mods until they are so. It's not magic "ZOMG a spambot!" and it's dead 5 seconds later and people don't notice. Just give the mod some time.

And by "community running itself", is that since we have so little mods, we'll have to regulate some threads ourselves, such as trying to keep J.A.R.S in line or ignoring a troll until a mod arrives.

Man. I always have to explain myself because my previous post sucks. I need to get myself in line.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. You're talking about the bots themselves. I was thinking, "Why are the spambot threads such a bad thing? They're easy enough to ignore."

I guess so many spam accounts is a bad thing, but I haven't even noticed it before.

EDIT: Screw it. I'm beside myself today. Just ignore whatever advice I tried to give in the nazi-trying-to-make-the-mod's-life-easier way.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Summon Post Reply with quote

PHC wrote:
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't take months/years to delete them. Look at the last few pages of the "Recent Members" page.

Two clicks, according to IM. Every user who registered but never posted or uploaded any games/reviews/music has been deleted. Frankly, I'm surprised clearing the list was that easy. Exclamation

Also, and this is probably the wrong place to mention this, but perhaps someone should round up a dedicated group of OHR enthusiasts and try to find a lot of the old OLD community members, if only to say "remember that old game making engine you used to play with?-Look at it now!". If anything, THAT would gather some more interest in the engine itself. I mention this, because I've recently seen some old names show up, such as Jude-The-Rat, and Zetes (I think). Anybody who remembers them on the forums has been here a LONG time.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Summon Post Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
PHC wrote:
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't take months/years to delete them. Look at the last few pages of the "Recent Members" page.

Two clicks, according to IM. Every user who registered but never posted or uploaded any games/reviews/music has been deleted. Frankly, I'm surprised clearing the list was that easy. Exclamation

Also, and this is probably the wrong place to mention this, but perhaps someone should round up a dedicated group of OHR enthusiasts and try to find a lot of the old OLD community members, if only to say "remember that old game making engine you used to play with?-Look at it now!". If anything, THAT would gather some more interest in the engine itself. I mention this, because I've recently seen some old names show up, such as Jude-The-Rat, and Zetes (I think). Anybody who remembers them on the forums has been here a LONG time.

For clarification, I did not go through and delete all the bots. There are still bots in the memberlist. I only deleted all users who have never successfully logged into CP. I made the assumption that a valid registered user would login after registering. This does not eliminate any bots who have logged in. Cube and I do delete bots who create posts as soon as we see them.
WUT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that would explain why some still exist. Still, it's a substantial number that you've whittled down. If there were a way to block the more obvious bots (the ones that advertise phenamine or draxiltor or whatever they're selling next) that actually have this information in their member information, I'm pretty sure you'd have done so by now.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was an old user I'd be happy to...

I think an easy thing to be would just look at the users with registred emails which leads me to my next Idea Pitch!

CP NewsLetter Email

Ok maybe its not revolutionary. But I know everynow n then I completly forget about upcoming events & contest start/finish dates. A simple Calender or Reminder email of current goings on would be awsome. And like whenever a new hamsterspeak is out I'd love to get an email link reminding me.

Doubly it would keep people attached to CP. Even if your not a regualr poster, having a mass email newsletter would keep us all standing toghether, and encourage people to participate whenever new projects come around.

If we take it one step further

We could collab with other indy game sites and have one big cool email mag, remember resonably septaweekly? I don't cuz I was like in 6th grade. But from what I can remember it was pretty tizight and kept the threads tight. While attracting new people.

NETWORKING DAMMIT

we MUST get our Sexy back!

Maybe there should be a CP ressurection subboard for a new user group?

-squall
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough really happens in the world of CP that we'd need a newsletter to keep it all together. We do have a calendar on the front page, and it doesn't take too much energy to look for upcoming/ending contests. Hamster Speak releases the first of every month, which isn't at all hard to remember.

However, the one part of your mess of a post I did like was..

Quote:
We could collab with other indy game sites

It couldn't hurt to get the OHR better known to Indy/RPG sites, and advertisement is something that definitely needs to be concentrated on right now. Ya' know, rather than improving a site that doesn't really have community.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Summon Post Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Jude-The-Rat
Quick comment, all I saw was this cause my name is Jude. Who's that?

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: