Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

HamsterSpeak #1 is go!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: HamsterSpeak #1 is go! Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see everything in the left and right frames. The middle frame is the only one that I can scroll. Well, I guess I can kind of fake it by highlighting the text in these columns beyond the edge of the window (then the column scrolls down to show the highlighted text).

I've only just begun reading...

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Inspiration
Anti-Protagonist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was overall very happy with the way my game was reviewed, but there are a few little...annoyances that I've like to have sorted out of the way.

I don't remember giving any of the dwarves a bow in any point in the game, so it looks like Calehey kinda got rangers mixed up with archers. :p

My spriting method is also a bit...varied.
Instead of scanning images, I spend a bit of time to make a nice outline, then I either scribble colors in (See the earlier enemies, such as the dark foes in the Light Master's training ground) or I pull an AdrianX (See the later boss graphics). It's nice to know that my freehand style can be perceived as a scanned image though. Big grin

Backdrops..Um...I've never been good at large-scale images, so I mainly stick with gradients, except I mix in a little this 'n that to make them look less simplistic.

Battles. Ho ho ho! I made all of the attacks stackable, so battles would be easier in the beginning. But then the power of the dwarves got too big to handle, so I had to counter this with more powerful enemies. By the end, enemies are capable to kill you in two hits, so you need to take advantages of these bugs features.

Once again, I like that the review wasn't overly negative, but I'd like Calehey to replay a farther developed version of the game for a future issue of hamsterspeak.

Regarding the actual issue as a whole, the layout as a whole looks great, but blue text on blue background seems a little disagreeing with me, but it still looks very nice.

It's also a bit disappointing that you broke the magazine tradition of having a cover page..
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I noticed is a misspelling of the links. It says OHR Hame Page instead of OHR Home Page. Otherwise, I like the format, it's simple and easy to scroll through, and it has good content.

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiration wrote:
I was overall very happy with the way my game was reviewed, but there are a few little...annoyances that I've like to have sorted out of the way.

I don't remember giving any of the dwarves a bow in any point in the game, so it looks like Calehey kinda got rangers mixed up with archers. :p

My spriting method is also a bit...varied.
Instead of scanning images, I spend a bit of time to make a nice outline, then I either scribble colors in (See the earlier enemies, such as the dark foes in the Light Master's training ground) or I pull an AdrianX (See the later boss graphics). It's nice to know that my freehand style can be perceived as a scanned image though. Big grin

Backdrops..Um...I've never been good at large-scale images, so I mainly stick with gradients, except I mix in a little this 'n that to make them look less simplistic.

Battles. Ho ho ho! I made all of the attacks stackable, so battles would be easier in the beginning. But then the power of the dwarves got too big to handle, so I had to counter this with more powerful enemies. By the end, enemies are capable to kill you in two hits, so you need to take advantages of these bugs features.

Once again, I like that the review wasn't overly negative, but I'd like Calehey to replay a farther developed version of the game for a future issue of hamsterspeak.

I have no idea why I typed archer. That's actually a big typo.

I had a long time trying to decide if I actually liked the battle graphics or not. Upon zooming into a capture of the game, I found out what the problem was. Your lines are very sloppy at the moment. There's a lot of weird black pixels straying in places which made me to believe that they were drawn (and the large green boss you fight in the cave looked handdrawn, and, IMO, was the weakest sprite in the game.)

It might be a good idea for you the make the lines clearer. Stoven's tutorial on curves Sprite Art might help you (and the other ones as well are a good read.):
http://www.spriteart.com/main.html

What I think made judging this game's graphics was the fact that it seemed to fit the general mood of the game. Of course, if I were to see these types of graphics in something like Final Fantasy, I wouldn't like it, but here it seems to fit.

The problem with the battles is that they weren't really all that fun or challenging. (Consisting basically of me using the paralyze spell and Twill's attack, lowering the enemies defense with Giye, using Keihm's crazy move that hits the enemy a jamillion times, and Heal. At least I wasn't leaning on the Enter button, though.) Of course, when Manfred actually died, then I was in a bit of a loss (but I have a feeling that it was directly linked to the fact that MoonTwill has that level up bug, so I had to skip the battles in the later sections.)

I'll definitely revisit in a later issue, but I'd rather wait until you get the offical release done.

Everything's looking nice, but I've found myself wanting to go back to the first page. Perhaps the logo could take you there?

I totally have to download DogWorld and explore the "Secrate" Area.

Here's to a hopefully smooth issue two.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has commented on the comic yet. I may have to write up an article detailing the references behind many of the gags from the CP/HamsterComics, specifically what the deal behind the Protoss Probe and characters vomiting has to do with anything. Also, excellent job on the game reviews, they are well written and something we've not seen in a LONG time. I can almost taste the awesomeness these magazines are going to produce. Excellent job everyone, and keep up the good work!
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed a lot of references, I only caught on with Bob the Hamster trading enemy parts for seeds which, anyone could have.

Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that you made my Neo Tek Armano review a normal game review, when I intended it to be a terrible game review the whole time.
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't comment on too much as I haven't had a chance to really read through it all yet, but I like what I see. I for one have missed these magazine type sites, and I'm very happy to see a new one start up again. Looking forward to seeing more. It does indeed make me wanna finish my OHR game even more...

But anyways, thread is now linked to on main page, too.
Rinku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preview of Horgoth and the terrible game review of Dogworld (which I've actually played I think, because that title screen was very familiar-looking) were great, the rest was just kind of average. I'd like to see future content more at the level of writing of those.

Disappointed by no Top30 and no cover! Not that I was expecting them, but reading it without them makes me wish it had them.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall wrote:
I must have missed a lot of references, I only caught on with Bob the Hamster trading enemy parts for seeds which, anyone could have.

Yes! Which brings to mind the whole nature of the comic! What sort of business would accept vivisected monster organs in exchange for seeds? Why, only the most shady of them all of course!

The manager of the store has appeared in various incarnations before, originally showing up in the first comic where Rinku has to fight the mighty Panopticon, who laughs at his "Heroic Efforts". Described as one of a horde of mindless "spambots", whose chant in battle is "run and die", the spambot has made numerous appearances either soliciting goods or services, under the Zoltar name brand of goods, or in attempting to poke fun at the community's plagues of spam advertisements. The spambots take the form of the afforementioned Protoss Probes from Starcraft, since at the time the original games were made, Rinku and several of the other heroists were big fans of Starcraft.

Surlaw is a Beluga Whale, primarily because some of his original forum avatars were of a large white whale engulfing a man's head. The comic renditions of him don't do him justice. Nonetheless, comics with the whale are both hilarious and nonsensical.

Projectile-vomiting blood is an OHR tradition. As is the accomanying "Wheeeee" noise, which has been described to me of sounding like an unenthusiastic person riding a roller-coaster. The effect is even funnier if the projectile vomiting occurs after a panel where nothing happens, OR, if directed onto someone else.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Nobody has commented on the comic yet. ...

Panel 3 kept me LOLing for an embarrassingly extended period of time
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: