Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHR Review Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: OHR Review Page Reply with quote

My Reviews of OHR Games are now posted online

http://spots.flatland.com/jms/ohrrev/review.html

I expect to update it atleast once a week if not more often until I catch up with all the OHR games I have played over the past year. Then I will go and make it look a bit nicer.

If you find any errors in authorship for website please drop me a post, e-mail, IM, PM or whatever you feel like.

-js
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just what I wanted to read, a few bad reviews of a bunch of OHR games...

But seriously, those reviews are far too short and not in-depth enough. That is the point of a review. You don't simply say things like "This game is classic, the graphics are great, the story is great, the gameplay is fine, the music is good, this is a great game!". WHY are the graphics so good? WHY is the story so good? (And I don't mean, "This story is great because it is so epic". I mean like "The execution of the grand story is superb, and it is aided by the impeccable dialogue and unique and interesting characters."). WHY is the gameplay so good? Is there anything that separates it from the norm? I sometimes think a review of a game should not only tell the reader why they should/shouldn't play this game and extreme detail supporting their opinion, but it should also try to explain why the game isn't just another game.
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.beyonddigital.net/~ducky/boards/viewtopic.php?p=5013#5013

My own general advice to game reviewers...
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: =/ Reply with quote

Let's deal with this backwards.

"If you say Wandering Hamster's graphics are well-done, that's an average description."

Fenrir- No, that's an awful description. Without the why, it's useless to the game creator, and since everyone's idea of "well-done" graphics is different, it doesn't really help other players either. I happen to think Wandering Hamster's graphics are merely average.

Aeth- Good points.

Omega0- Your reviews help no one, and I hope you didn't honestly think you were helping anyone with your impossible to use scoring system, ("!" is NOT a score, it's an exclamation mark) and paragraph long reviews. Take a look at the way CP's reviews are set up, and look back on O:OHR reviews. If you're serious about helping game creators and players alike, then you're going to really need to step up here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies. I was attempting to demonstrate that a more descriptive comment is arguably better than a bland one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: