Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

New feature
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: New feature Reply with quote

So, I've been hacking away at the OHR again, and I decided to cross off a longstanding item on my TODO list.

Do you dare find out what?!

I think that most will find this a *very* welcome addition to the OHR!

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ

Last edited by Mike Caron on Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the filenames of the .png files you posted, I immediately knew, "Holy crap! They actually did it!"

And I bet you guys made it easier to use than Zelda Classic.
J.A.R.S.
In umbram deo, ex nihilo...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layers? how many are there?

EDIT: It's funny, I was coding my engine last night and added layers too XD
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
When I saw the filenames of the .png files you posted, I immediately knew, "Holy crap! They actually did it!"

And I bet you guys made it easier to use than Zelda Classic.

That is an understatement so massive that it would collapse underneath its own weight were it a physical object.

J.A.R.S. wrote:
Layers? how many are there?

EDIT: It's funny, I was coding my engine last night and added layers too XD

You've got three layers to play with: the bottom layer is the existing tilemap you're used to, the middle layer which is drawn immediately above the bottom layer (see the potted plant and the hanging in the pic), and the top layer, which is the modern equivalent of the overhead tile.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall was working around with a streetlamp system using npcs to simulate this, quite ingenious, but I think this addition will particularly make him smile Happy it will also fix all these games with cave settings where it didnt quite overlap corners. DEFINATLY an awesome addition to the ohr!
*BOWS*
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has even touched on the true usefulness of this.

Now trees, bridges, etc can overlap animated water and other animated tiles without having to make a single extra tile to do so.

You can now have an animated rain tile that overlaps the whole map.
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I did this was because I was working on the tileset you see a part of in the picture. When I got to the plant, and I had the same tile on three different surfaces, I realized I had to god-mod this one.

Won't be the first time, nor the last Big grin

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
Nobody has even touched on the true usefulness of this.

Now trees, bridges, etc can overlap animated water and other animated tiles without having to make a single extra tile to do so.

You can now have an animated rain tile that overlaps the whole map.

[url]angelsearth.freehostia.com/[/url]
OH TRUST ME, that I have... 7 layers in that Wink I don't feel bad 'bout pointing it out here since its no competition to the ohr, but I'm just AMAZED that in about 1 or 2 months distance I've seen the OHR community now on windows, and now using layers... This makes the ohr, in my eyes, the best rpg engine there is around. I've never been a fan of the others. Once I was commisionned to rate all the engines I had used and review it, and paining me, the old DOS ohr had scored the highest (paining me because I had left and didn't bother using dosbox that is). It may feel cheesy a damn lot, but this is thing like this that makes me proud I once was an active member back then. *tear* lol. Seriously, it's an AWESOME revamp of the engine, something people will explore endlessly for months/years to come. I have yet to see how it behaves in-game, but it looks neat to me Happy
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seven layers sound overkill and hard to manage.
J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to manage: Not with the array system
Overkill? Ya, I agree, 6 would've done the job, and to be perfectly honest, for 99.999999% of the rpgs, 3 is more than enough which is why I applaud the current progress. I just wanted to make bridges you can walk under and over WITHOUT coding the switch of level (it's built-in on a 3 different layer of passability mode! call it mind breaking yeah). The 3 layer design is more flexible, more elegant one might say, and since this is a creation engine, 3 layer IS the perfect number.
I'm not too used with that but... is it going to be in the next nightly or?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hard to manage: Not with the array system
I'm talking about map design, not programming.

3 layers is pretty adequate, unless you absolutely need more than 3 due to extreme detail in maps.
J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, my engine tolerates semi transparency... so semi ice mirrors and all and 32 bits graphics... 7 layers became necessary, but that's another scope...
What is OHR coded in now? I guess it must've changed language to tolerate windows... And since its open source, if its a "basic" language, I might be of some help in this field if help is required Wink
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.A.R.S. wrote:
Onlyoneinall was working around with a streetlamp system using npcs to simulate this, quite ingenious, but I think this addition will particularly make him smile Happy it will also fix all these games with cave settings where it didnt quite overlap corners. DEFINATLY an awesome addition to the ohr!
*BOWS*

You're telling me! XD After reading through the thread, I immediately headed over to the OHR downloads page and got it on my hard drive... must... rethink... strategy... this is gonna be sweet Happy Happy Happy

Mike, you're my hero.

J.A.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I immediatly saw the streets and I went like : "oh yeah, more of these goodies!!!" That is, not counting the MASSIVE shrink in ohr maptiles... no more background for the tree where you draw grass. Keep it black and make a tree, good for anything, and probably you can use the third layer to link them as a whole, so no more need to make these complex tree-networks to give the idea of a contiguous forest.
I wasn't personally expecting the OHR to jump that step so... apparently easily? I thought the mainframe of the program had a structure that could hardly stretch on this count but... heck glad I was wrong Wink
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but... how I do I place tiles in the other two layers? Maybe I misunderstood the directions, but Alt F1 - F3 doesn't seem to do anything for me, and I don't know how to change the layer so I can place tiles in a different once, since it seems the bottom layer cannot be turned off in the Ctrl+L Menu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: