Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Multiple Rpg Files

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Multiple Files
yes
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
no
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Bob360
Rusty Vet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Multiple Rpg Files Reply with quote

Do you think that a game with ohr should use multiple rpg files?
Seth
Hardcore Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in size restrictions?
James Paige

Embattled Productions Home
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. If its the same story, you can't really make a new rpg file. What about all those items? Weapons? Levels?

I say no. You'll have to work with the size restrictions until James makes it bigger.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only restriction you'd really want to bypass with multiple RPG files is the number of maps (I know I'm using two RPG files because I'll need more than 100 maps), and you can easily create two RPG files with different maps that have the same everything else, with some scripting and creativity.
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know!
Multiple RPG files are good for when you're like us losers at Realmsoft. None of us have internet access at home, so we have to make everything to fit on diskette. Come to think of it, these lovely ladies at the library already know me pretty well now.
Anyway, that's what I was trying to do with Hoshima and NK3, and I'll try to do it with .hack//OHR. All you have to do to continue the game into the next RPG file is rename your .sav file after the next RPG file so the game will read it. (That, and there's scripting mumbo-jumbo to be fixed). I dunno, I just got the idea from Cube's stoneage version of Dimensions I.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does work and that is how you'd use it to add more maps, as long as you make a copy of the map you end GAME1.rpg on in GAME2.rpg. You can even write a batch program or something to convert their save file for them...
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, to prevent skipping the first file, you could always require a password if you know how to script it. Of course, you'd have to deal with people that give the password away...

Perhaps one could make it so that it will only continue from a saved game. That should work, as long as the opening script involves a "game over" command...

Just a note, you would have to do a bit more than make a copy of the map. In addition to making this map, you will need to make this map on the exact number that the other was on. That way it should all work.

On the original question, I do not believe a game should have multiple files, but a game may use multiple files as long as it's done properly, and it is absolutely necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may consider doing a "split"-rpg thing for my next major project. A split Rpg could be best used in this format...

Copy the entire game's attacks, items, heroes, etc, or just copy the RPG file and rename it. Once the player gets to map 100 (or higher 90's), and the game isn't technically halfway over yet, the plan will kick in. After beating the crap out of the "final boss" on game 1, a tag is turned on (tag:Game switch), and the player is prompted to make a save file for use on the second game. Link a game over script to this as well, but the save file with the tag enabled is retained. Rename the save file to the second RPG and load the game, to continue where the player should have last left off. This would be exceptionally useful if the cross-over point from one game to the other pulled a "world of ruin" type thing from FF6, where the world, villages, etc., are more or less really F'd up.

To prevent backwards compatibility between the save files, there WOULD have to be a "load game" script to check and see if the tag was on or off, and consequently end the game.

Other possibilities for having two different versions of the same game involving "Red and Blue" versions. Suppose you were to make a Pokemon type game, where certain things didn't show up in one version from the other. To collect everything, you'd need to switch games every once in a while with the same save file.

Another potential application could be a type of "Time Travel Game". Stuck in a dungeon and you can see the exit right on the other side of a landslide? Swap save files and time travel to the past, then walk to the wall where the landslide will occur, and then reload the default RPG to continue with the main quest!

An entire game COULD be done with multiple RPG files, in different ways. I remember not so long ago that there used to be something called "The Battosai Project", which essentially created a save file for use at the beginning of some games. granted, there was the obvious problem of it not working with 99% of all OHR games ever made, but it was an intriguing idea for its time.
Eggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you manage to transfer characters and saved games. Do you make two games with the same names, and when one beats the first half (or quarter or whatever) they have some plotscripting to allow them to play the next little bit.

Hey, it would be cool. You could be all like "Please insert Disc 2". But what you really mean is- . Okay, I'll stop, you got the point, maybe.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T REVIVE OLD THREADS GODDAMMIT!
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't he supposed to be banned?
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Eggie, STOP REVIVING THREE-MONTH OLD THREADS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: