Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

We need more OHR.RPG.CE resources(hero-sets,chipsets)!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you help OHRRPGCE have more resources?
Yes!
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
No!
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... things like that have been tried and are probably still around (PSTUTOR and NPC_TAG are the easiest examples, if not the best). Welcome.RPG will be another source for excellent graphics. To that I am not so opposed.

However, "chipsets" is a RM2K term and when I think RM2K I think ripped graphics. I guess this isn't really true in a lot of cases and the OHRRPGCE could stand to have some original free graphics, but the risk you take is spawning a new generation of newbie games that look exactly alike (which has been predicted with the advent of Welcome).

Several of my criticisms for ripped graphics still stand for pubdom graphic sets, though, and I continue to favor graphics created by a game's author for those reasons.
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the creator of a widely known game that ripped graphics, I have to weigh in on this.

Part of the reason I'm making Welcome/Vikings is to give back to the RPG making community something I took - specifically the afforementioned ripping graphics. This evens the score. However that turns out, and however future OHR newbie games end up is a question I will not now discuss, and is better said after we see our first newbie games using Welcome's graphics. I would hope at least that new users attempt some things I've not tried with them, or perhaps even become inspired and attempt to make their own graphics. Whether this is the case or not, I hope they'll at least gain some experience in working with the OHR, and perhaps be much better off than most of us first were (only having a few examples to work by).

At the very least, I imagine they'll be well used. On the other hand, we'll inevitably see the following screenshot whenever a newbie tries to make their own graphics:

And with this, we've now come full circle.
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there's anyone with any brains around, newbies won't be able to release a midgard clone without serious backlash. In which case, I'll be fine.

A large library will certainly be helpful for newbies who haven't proven themselves and simply aren't going to get pros to work with them just yet. Even if stuff in the library isn't great quality or at least functional, is extremely helpful, and I'll bet the average newbie will get much further into ohr than the average newbie now, increasing our chances of seeing great games from them in the future.

When it comes to midgard, though, I thinking I'll only allow a limited free licence for the music. No permission or payment required, but the songs definitely can't be edited or changed. I've also considered, for the newbie's best interest, only PD-ing half of them or so. There is a possibility that if we give people a wealth of stuff, there'll be less motivation to team up with others or to get better. Another problem I've been thinking about, is an eventual full-game version with plotscripting. If it's going to eventually be a full length, standalone game, PDing every element of the game may come into serious reconsideration.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could submit graphics from my Eight Granasties game (provided we do a resource thing), ones that could be used generally (and maybe some with alterations to make it more general). At least then there will be some use for it.

Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bena, you can't be serious. We've seen newbies do it with Wandering Hamster, Super Mario Bros, and even NPC_TAG. They'll do it with Welcome.

People aren't going to care how you license your music, either, so get a lawyer, withdraw your tracks, or live with it. This was kind of the point, anyway. It's not like original music has ever been a priority historically in the community, but at least it's not Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy music they'll be using.
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you're right. It's not like I'll be using the music for anything else.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a game, might have involved a moose, where they took graphics from Sword of Jade.

The Royal-graphics version from 1999.
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHR doesn't really use easily-importable formats. Only the tiles come in complete sheets. It is fairly easy with the 3rd party ohrgfx tool, but that's not raelly going to help the average new user. I think the import functions would need to be more comprehensive to support a resource library. Either that or put them all in ohrrpgce.new.

I don't think it's a bad idea, though.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artimus Bena wrote:
I suppose you're right. It's not like I'll be using the music for anything else.

I was hoping you would be willing to use something like creative commons attribution

But if you want to forbid remixes, maybe: creative commons attribution-noderivs or similar?

PlayerOne wrote:
OHR doesn't really use easily-importable formats. Only the tiles come in complete sheets. It is fairly easy with the 3rd party ohrgfx tool, but that's not raelly going to help the average new user. I think the import functions would need to be more comprehensive to support a resource library.

I would really like to have import and export of full-set spritesheets in PNG format... pending my having enough free time to actually implement such a thing :)

PlayerOne wrote:
Either that or put them all in ohrrpgce.new.

The OHR is already realy close to be able to support using any .RPG file renamed to a .NEW file as a starting "template"
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
I would really like to have import and export of full-set spritesheets in PNG format... pending my having enough free time to actually implement such a thing Happy

Stop giving me ideas. I'm still getting over what I hacked together the other day.

Still... Sprite sheets... Actually, that should be really easy...

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sprite Sheets should not be fully defined characters or weapons. They just need to be basic outlines for people to build upon them.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think w ehsould have a resource place for the n00bs just to get them off their feet so they worry about making a decent made game more than anything. Just not of established charecters like Mario etc. Just the fighter,wizard etc graphics that are generic.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleblaze wrote:
Just not of established charecters like Mario etc. Just the fighter,wizard etc graphics that are generic.

Which is what they're going to use once they get a hold of Welcome.rpg.

Personally, I just don't like the fact that public resources will create a dependance on pre-made graphics for the new guys.

I'm ashamed of previously ripping graphics, but still, I've learned a lot about pixelating from using them.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I only 100% support making outline templates. Have this non-detailed outline of a walkabout body, hero body. Don't put anything on this outline. Not even fill it in with color.

Let people learn pixeling from that. The only thing that will be the same will be the general proportions that come from the template, but people can draw hair and clothing however they want, etc...
hireintelligence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that Newbie_Power has the right idea with outlines. Hero outlines could have a little bit more detail though, because they are harder (at least for me).

I don't think it would be bad to have maptiles on offer as basic things like just floor and walls, it could look pretty bad when someone has their first try at making original graphics but at least this would give them something to build off and they wouldn't just be disheartened and give up making their game(s) (as I seem to have done).

If some sort of resources stockpile/bonanza were to be put on offer I would contribute, or at least try to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: