Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Remember that REALLY old version...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Probably the Grand Poobah or something

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Remember that REALLY old version... Reply with quote

...when there were only 4 maps, armor didn't work yet, and various things (heroes and items, I think) had all those weird bitsets that sounded like they'd do something, but weren't programmed in yet?

Does anyone still remember what all the names of the bitsets were? If so, could someone post them here?
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was back then when James wanted people to buy copies of the OHRRPGCE, right?

I'd imagine that the bitsets would keep their names.
FnrrfYgmSchnish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not the Weak/Resist/Absorb bitsets--I'm talking about the ones that aren't even in the program anymore.

They were supposed to be placeholders for some sort of status effects, I think--I remember heroes had a list of "Is always ______" bitsets, with a bunch of different effects in the blanks (I'm pretty sure "Hyper" was one, but I can't remember the rest).
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in the attack editor there was a big list of status effects that didn't do anything yet (and never did). I don't remember all of them but I think "hyper" was indeed one of them and there was another called "blessed" (I remember the latter specfically cause I had no idea what it would do). The rest were probably just basic status effects, poison, stone, sleep, etc.
FnrrfYgmSchnish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there were any negative effects on the list--having a hero that was always stoned (as in "turned to stone," of course--the other way would probably work for joke games, though...) would be kinda weird.

Of course, there might've been some like that in the attack bitsets (they were "Set _____", right?)... I don't remember those very well, not even enough to remember if they were different than the hero bitsets.

Now that I think of it, they were probably all going to be stat-boosting type things, since this was before attacks could be set to target stats other than HP and MP.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These lines still remain commented out in custom:

Code:
'DATA Picture,Palette,"Animation:","Target Class:","Target Setting:",Damage,Aim,"Base Stat:","","",Money Cost,"Extra Damage%","Chain to:",Chain%,"Attacker Motion:","Attack Motion:",Delay,Number of Hits,"Target Stat:",Edit Bitsets...,"Name="
'DATA 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,-999,-9999,-32767,-100,0,0,0,0,0,1,0
'DATA 99,32767,3,9,4,6,4,20,999,9999,32767,1000,300,100,8,10,1000,20,11

'DATA Sleep,Stone,Poison,Plague,Blind,Mute,Insane,Slow,Weak,Soft,Curse,Power,Accuracy,Hyper,Shell,Dodge,Fast,Wall,Blessing

The first bits seem to have gotten more directly implanted into the attack editor (this code is no where near the attack editor, because I believe it wasn't in a separate function at the time), the rest is discarded.
FnrrfYgmSchnish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the plans for the effects of those things were (before they were commented-out and replaced)?

Sleep--obvious
Stone--it'd be neat to see how this would work in the OHRRPGCE... Untargetable by Heroes/Enemies bitset+stun? And some items/attacks could target untargetable (stoned) heroes to remove it.
Poison--we have it now
Plague--probably just "poison with more damage"... or maybe a "building" poison, like Toxic in Pokémon
Blind--obvious
Mute--we have it now
Insane--Confuse effect?
Slow/Fast--obvious
Weak/Power--obvious
Soft--Defense down? Or maybe related to curing Stone somehow... since the FF games' stone-curing item has been called "Soft" before
Curse/Blessing--no idea
Accuracy--obvious
Hyper--Berserk effect (maybe)?
Shell--obvious
Dodge--obvious
Wall--obvious
Valigarmander
Bye-Bye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, James? You should take a few of these into consideration mebee...

Berserk: Like in the FF games, you have increased speed and attack power, but you lose control of said character and can only use physical attacks.
Confuse: % chance to do random attack instead of command (i.e. you select "Attack Enemy," but instead you cast a spell, use an item, or attack an ally.)
Petrify: Turns you into stone. Basically being dead, except you're still alive. You can't be attacked, like being dead, but your health remains however high it was before, like being alive.
Reflect: Like in the FF games, reflects attacks back at the caster. You could have an attack bitset "Reflectable" to determine which ones will go.
Sleep: Puts you to sleep. Essentially the same as stun, but you can be "woken up" when attacked.

I hope this provides you with some good ideas... I'd try to help, but I don't know cack about programming.
FnrrfYgmSchnish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before any new status effects, I'd like to see heroes with the full enemy bitset list (or at least the ones that would be useful in any way--the Enemy Type ones, Harmed by Cure, and maybe even the Untargetables or Unescapable--so you can have a hero that simply cannot run away from battles, no matter what he/she/it's fighting... or something like that)
VirusTalent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a status alignment that made my friends laugh...

Eating: You cant attack, and you will either loose or gain health every turn.

Ha ha ha! its a funny one.

Also, Curse and Blessing proboly ment you would be hurt more or less when hit by an attack. Just a guess, but its educated!
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkBub...Those bitsets you mentioned are already there...

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
FnrrfYgmSchnish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enemies have them, yeah... they've had them for a long time.

But the heroes don't have them--in the version I have (hasta-la-QB), the only hero bitsets are the Weak/Strong/Absorb and Rename when Joining/Rename from Status Menu ones.

Unless they've been added in one of the nightly updates, heroes don't have those bitsets available yet.
So you can't make a humanoid hero take extra damage from "Extra damage vs. Humanoid" attacks, or anything like that.
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleblaze wrote:
DarkBub...Those bitsets you mentioned are already there...

Yes, but as enemy bitsets. He means to be able to set them on heroes.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT would be awesome. Just don't screw up anything in the process please? Oookay...
Mr B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I came up against this when I was making a game -- I had the battle system all worked out to a nicety only to discover that the heroes couldn't have many of the bitsets.

So much for circumventing the 8 element maximum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: