Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

I Like BAMs...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikebenimble

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: I Like BAMs... Reply with quote

I used to enjoy composing BAMs for OHR games, no matter how many games I made them for petered out and didn't get finished. At some point, though, my computer started getting really buggy whenever I would use notate or playbam, and I couldn't get any 8-bit sound out of it. Since I got my new computer, however, I find that I can use DOSbox to work with all my old BAMs perfectly, and use notate with no trouble.

My problem? Nothing to compose for. I apologize if I've made some noob error by posting this here, but I couldn't find a thread along the topical lines of finding a project to attach one's self to. But if anyone can direct me to someplace where I can find a game in development, I'd really appreciate it, as I want to get back to composing again.

I have samples and, while I could cite some people whose projects I have worked on in the past, it probably wouldn't be to any avail, since it's been ages. But regardless, I have samples.
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say you're in the right place.

would you mind sharing some of your work?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all...would it be best to place them somewhere for download? If so, where might I put them?
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.castleparadox.com

Upper left corner "ADD SONGS"

Hi.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the community. I can already tell that you have great potential here. :3
Keep your eyes open. People request composers and stuff from time to time. Good luck!

Also, what's the probelm with using BAMS?
I don't see any mention of MidiToBam.exe in your first post. Do you ever use that?

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spikebenimble

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you guys. I'll add a couple of songs here, and keep my eye out for projects. I'm getting rather excited about this now.
spikebenimble

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I ended up putting up five of my old numbers. Though I'll have to fiddle with the site to be able to find them again myself. Hope somebody doesn't think they're crap.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether they think it's crap or not shouldn't matter.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spikebenimble

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid point, but who really doesn't "read the reviews?"

Oh, and in response to the question earlier, I have only used Midi2Bam.exe a couple of times, as most of the work that I've done was with Notate.exe.
spikebenimble

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used custom in an attempt to stick all my best BAMs in a sort of catalogue...I didn't know that they changed the way BAMs sound. It makes the ones I put up sound horrible. They were much better in playbam via DOS. I guess I'll have to do something about them, now.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you just like notate, or is there another reason you prefer BAM over midi? Not to sound unpleased, but OHR is now midi compatible so if that's the format you start with you may as well stick with it.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
spikebenimble

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I guess I just like notate. I probably did more work with it than I did with Noteworthy, which I like, and all, but I really love that old 8-bit sound. But now all my BAMs sound different in games, so I don't know what I should do.

Maybe I'll try using midis and just leave notate behind...I do have some pretty good midis. Maybe I should put one of those up. Yeah, I think I will. At least it'll sound the way I want it to, barring some local variation or whatever.
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to evoke that sense of 8-bit gaming, you might use the electric instruments of the MIDI soundbank.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly. BAM exhibits no such effect.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
spikebenimble

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not anymore, apparently. If you ever hear any of my stuff that I converted to MP3 while back from direct plays of BAMs, you'll definitely hear the 8-bit sound. It really messes me up, because now it's not mono and the voices are all different. So a carefully-plotted interplay of notes put together in such a way that they don't step on each other and sound good is pretty much completely ruined.

But I'm going to do midis from now on, so I won't concern myself with it anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: