Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Whats cookin fer OHR 360/OHRIII/OHR Revolution.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree with you there. Have you seens the requirements for Vista?! The low-end (there's four "categories", depending on what you want out of Vista) is like 2 GhZ processor, and buckets of RAM. I shudder to think of the high end specs...

Anyway, if you're correct about the drawing routines, it'll work on both Windows 95 and NT 4. Unless some of the other libraries we inevitably use won't run on those. XP

As for the slashes, it has nothing to do with windows. Windows happily slurps up either. The problem is with Linux (linux port means linux, ya know), which doesn't like \'s.

\home/mike\ohr will cause it to look for the "mike\ohr" file/folder in the folder "\home", in whatever folder you're in.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/ vs \ was extremely easy to fix...it's the ext filesystem's case sensitivity, file permissions (for some reason, freeBasic creates playing.tmp but doesn't give itself permission to access it), and an odd issue I'm having with directory listings that's causing the most problems. I'm able to play games, but I have to manually create playing.tmp, supply the RPG as a commandline argument, and cleanup the files myself once I exit the game.
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkmnfrk wrote:
I would have to disagree with you there. Have you seens the requirements for Vista?! The low-end (there's four "categories", depending on what you want out of Vista) is like 2 GhZ processor, and buckets of RAM. I shudder to think of the high end specs..

Nobody makes 2Ghz processors (mainstream) anymore. All the computer makers are up to ~3.5Ghz (or Pentium equivalent) now.

I'm as much against upgrading for the sake of upgrading as anyone else, but you can get a 2Ghz machine for 150$ now. The benefits outweight the holdouts still running Windows95. I was one of those Win95 holdouts myself, but once I used XP, I didn't even want to be near a Win95 machine anymore. The differences between the two OSes are like night and day.

Vista will also have SECURITY and ACTUAL UNIX-STYLE FILE PERMISSIONS, which means no more trouble with the OS randomly locking and unlocking files. Yay!
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still run a 600 Mhz PIII with windows 2000. I see no pressing need to upgrade to an OS that is shiny. Yes, Vista is shiny. Shiny doesn't necissarily mean good.

If I understand correctly (which I do most of the time), Vista will not allow OpenGL to run, instead translating OpenGL calls into DirectX calls (slow).

Further, just because it has more options for setting file permissions doesn't mean squat. Windows NT could set user-level permissions. Big whoop.

In addition, if I understand this correctly also, it'll provide support for BIOS upgrades in the OS. That's a very big security hole. If Joe Q. Haxor rewrites your BIOS to do nothing, all the shininess and file permissions in the world won't help you.

However, this is neither the time or place to discuss this.

---

Any other suggestions?

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Hmm :\ Reply with quote

Can't wait! I'd love to see a Windows version of OHR. My WINSLOW computer is a 120MHz, and I hope it still fits in the requirements Ha ha ha!

I'm sure you need not hear this but:..

Don't forget MIDI! Big grin
Sound, yes. .wavs.
Changeable sprite sizes(?) and automatic paletting (import straight from files)
Greater level of in-game sprite and maptile editing.
Support for 256 colours is fine. 32k would be nice.
More frames for animations! 2 frames for walking, euh, 3 frames is ideal. Raspberry!
In dire need of a Victory frame.
Enemy animations, perhaps death animations too.

Are there any limiting factors to these?; RAM, HD, language-based problems?

I'm a QBasic programmer myself but the most advanced thing I programmed myself was a Sierpinski Triangle "flowing down" a waterfall-looking surface. And that was completely by accident, in 8 lines of code.

I've moved on the Python and C mostly.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of those things would require changing the RPG format. Since we must always be backwards compatible, that would require some very many very ugly hacks.

It was suggested that you should be able to specify hero victory frames in the general game settings or in each hero's settings.

What do you mean by "Greater level of in-game sprite and maptile editing"?

I look forward greatly to real file permissions. XP is insanely annoying. But if that thing about killiong OpenGL is true, it more than makes up for that positive.
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well if the Dos version also had these things then backwards compatibilty isn't an issue Big grin

OHR should just check how many frames there are, and use that many. (For attacks;) It should let you add more independantly to a max amount (say 25)

Also with hero graphics the victory sprite could be optional (for backwards compatibility) and would just use the Attack A frame instead otherwise (default)

A greater sprite editing sub-probram would be nice- Maybe a line drawer that draws lines LIKE THEY SHOULD BE Raspberry! I always end up drawing them pbp Pissed off!

Maybe a selection tool and some more advanced effects like blur, (motion blur?) anti-aliasing, gradients (use with Selection), hue change, saturation change? I don't expect those though.

The airbrush is nice though Happy

I reckon you're doing a great job.

EDIT: I don't want to sound like a newb who genuinely asks for the impossible. . ie. "OHR should be 3D, and it should be able to make MMORPGs. Oh, and make it for Macs so I can use it. When you're done send it to me! Thanks!" Yeah. I'm sure that'll happen.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowiii wrote:
I want lazer pointer remote support.

Already there. Not available for battles though.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgfcoder wrote:
Hmm, well if the Dos version also had these things then backwards compatibilty isn't an issue Big grin

No, see, that's the issue. Dos can't hande these, for reaons I'll explain after your next few paragrahps.

tgfcoder wrote:
OHR should just check how many frames there are, and use that many. (For attacks;) It should let you add more independantly to a max amount (say 25)

Also with hero graphics the victory sprite could be optional (for backwards compatibility) and would just use the Attack A frame instead otherwise (default)

That's not why you don't have more frames. The ohr has a "sprite sheet" of sorts onto which it must load all the graphics that are in use. The size is fixed because of limited video memory in 16-bit dos. Thus, we can't just arbitrarily add more stuff, without removing something else.

tgfcoder wrote:
A greater sprite editing sub-probram would be nice- Maybe a line drawer that draws lines LIKE THEY SHOULD BE Raspberry! I always end up drawing them pbp Pissed off!

I agree. That's been annoying me since ever.

tgfcoder wrote:
Maybe a selection tool and some more advanced effects like blur, (motion blur?) anti-aliasing, gradients (use with Selection), hue change, saturation change? I don't expect those though.

How would you accomplish this with a 16 colour palette (which isn't getting larger, for reasons which should be obvious given my preceeding statements)

tgfcoder wrote:
The airbrush is nice though Happy

I reckon you're doing a great job.

Thanks, we're all doing our best. Even TMC. Wink

Althouh, one thing that TMC neglects to mention is that once we adobt the windows source as cannon, we can freely change the RPG format to include new features, without worrying about maintaining compatability with a 20-year old, 16-bit, dead operating system. (RIGHT.)

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking, while I was creating a map for the epic... And I was wondering why we don't have tools for Tile mapping like what we have for the graphics editor. We could have a shape tool to fill in specified areas with a selected tile and maybe a line tool to quickly make walls, stairs, and things... Yes, we have a screen fill thing, but what if someone wants to fill a semi large area and doesn't want to scroll tile by tile to fill half the screen? Might make the map editor more flexible.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh... Well, it's better now that I know how that is done. So I know it definately can't be done Happy Has anyone ever posed the question, "why quickbasic?"

Quote:

How would you accomplish this with a 16 colour palette (which isn't getting larger, for reasons which should be obvious given my preceeding statements)

I don't quite understand this (in these specific examples; I know what we're talking about), but don't the maptiles work on a bitmap-based 8-bit colour palette? It wouldn't be able to be done on a custom 4 bit palette.

We should put together a team of programmers and rewrite it in C*. The right way. Ha ha ha! I'd be more then happy to provide lots of pseudocode**, if not actual code***.

* Or something better than QB.
** Provided I was informed of how the program worked Big grin
*** If I can program in that language.
NeoTA
Idiomatic Nomenclature

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgfcoder: FreeBasic (which looks like it's going to be the first complete port) is better than QB.
Aside from that , I'm rewriting it in Python, and some other rewriting or ports are happening too.

See this page and the Ohrrpgce source ports page reachable from there for more detail on what is happening regarding all ports/rewrites as well as mainstream development.

Regarding the painting features: Apart from the line tool which should be fixed, I think it is wiser to direct you to google for 'deluxe paint 2e' (or iie) and/or 'grafx2', both of which are far better at manipulating 8bit pictures than the OHR will ever be. They have most of the features you mention and many more besides.

Maybe they should be mentioned in the FAQ.

Automatic paletting is something I'm iffy about. If it was implemented, there is no way it would be as good as what a dedicated paint program like GIMP could do.
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the backwards compatibility problem is that any new versions still need to be able to run existing games, it doesn't actually matter whether the new version is for DOS or not.

FreeBasic does already give us a lot more scope to rewrite things than QB. The sprites are currently stored in a page of video memory, and there's no particularly good reason to leave it that way (since it's only fake video memory under FreeBasic anyway, I believe), but at this early stage it is most important to make sure the new versions work the same as the old ones, so it is best to leave as much of them the same as is possible.

I guess I'm quite conservative in that way. I would never change A, B and C in one go, I would change A, then make sure it's all fine, then change B, and so on. The FreeBasic version, for me, is actually the first step to a PalmOS version, which means I am intending to go via C at some point, although I can't guarantee that I won't be distracted by another project.

There does come a point, though, surely, where you have to ask: is it still OHR? Or why is it still OHR? There are other RPG engines around if you want different features. What is the essence of OHR? Once we start to get to features like true colour and more frames of animation, would it be better to simply start over?

What drew me to it was that it was only 320x200 and 256 colours, and that it doesn't require massive system resources. That's what made me think it might be possible to get it running on PalmOS. (It might not - disk space is going to be the big headache.)
NeoTA
Idiomatic Nomenclature

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlayerOne wrote:
Well, the backwards compatibility problem is that any new versions still need to be able to run existing games, it doesn't actually matter whether the new version is for DOS or not.

Note though that you can do that at least three different ways:
* automatic conversion (this could even be in a separate executable)
* an auto-activating backwards-compatibility mode (again, this could be a separate executable. If things were divided up cleanly.)
* just trying to maintain one codebase that doesn't break backwards-compatibility in any way.

which have majorly different effects. You could do non-backwards-compatible things as long as there was a way to express old functionality in terms of the new functionality.

Quote:
There does come a point, though, surely, where you have to ask: is it still OHR? Or why is it still OHR? There are other RPG engines around if you want different features. What is the essence of OHR? Once we start to get to features like true colour and more frames of animation, would it be better to simply start over?

That's what I decided. That I would get Jormungand fully functional, then break compatibility completely. I want to understand exactly what is involved in the coordination and planning of this kind of software.
I wouldn't start from scratch, though.. because I am writing things sensibly from the start, reusability would be very common.

Basically, I like the ideas portrayed in OHRRPGCE and want to use them myself.
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What parts of Python are being used? The only graphics I've ever done with Python was in my MMORPG using Tkinter. Very strange things happened, I won't even start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: