Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

My MIDIs need critiquing! :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: My MIDIs need critiquing! :) Reply with quote

I haven't been composing for very long but I LOVE composition. I don't think I'm really good at it yet, I was hoping people here could give me some tips.

By the way, the some end abruptly because they are designed to loop Big grin

>>

Album: Orbital Orchestra
Saturn Symphony
Mercury Melancholy
Satellite Solfa

Album: Tales of Lyara Isle Soundtrack
Sailin'
Kwai Island (town music)

Album: Random compositions
Raindance

Thanks in advance Raspberry!

Last edited by tgfcoder on Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, these are quite nice. You've created a lot of non-cliche chord progressions that work quite well. You also know how to make a MIDI sound extremely good.

1:
Very nice techno-trance drum beat (In fact, I applaud all of your drumbeats.) The second voice (I believe it's choir ah's) has somewhat questionable voice-leading, but it's still functional.

2:
Very nice melody (and putting it in that range really makes it stick out) My only problem with this song is that it's too thin. I would love for another round of the theme with all instruments at once.

3:
The drum break in this song is far too long. (I'm assuming this song loops.)

4:
This one is quite nice for the mood it seems to setup. I would maybe try another instrument than the whistle (I think it's a whistle) for the pan pipe or the bottle blow.

5:
This one uses a fairly common chord progression, but the sound is fullfilling. The inversions you use make it more interesting to listen too.

6:
Excellent! Reminds me of FF7 so much. The instrument choice is spot-on. The trade off between the harp and the lead synth is a very nice choice.
This is by far the best in the selection.

You work very well with arppegios and voice spacing. My only question is, are you going to use these as BAMs? If so, you're going to lose a lot of your MIDIorchestration to the wrath that is known as BAMS. You'll have to tweak these quite a bit (Remove some of the sound effects and replace the weak instruments.)

Pretty darn good!
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for listening to all of them. (I assume)

>Very nice techno-trance drum beat (In fact, I applaud all of your
>drumbeats.) The second voice (I believe it's choir ah's) has somewhat
>questionable voice-leading, but it's still functional.
>Very nice melody (and putting it in that range really makes it stick out)
>My only problem with this song is that it's too thin. I would love for
>another round of the theme with all instruments at once.

Thanks for that. Just remember MIDI's sound different on all most soundcards Oookay... It probably sounded better on your card, heh, mine's pretty cheap Raspberry!

>The drum break in this song is far too long. (I'm assuming this song
>loops.)

Yes, I noticed that too! Big grin It's 4 bars too long Crying Too lazy lol

>This one is quite nice for the mood it seems to setup. I would maybe try
>another instrument than the whistle (I think it's a whistle) for the pan
>pipe or the bottle blow.

Yup, whistle. I actually notated that section with my recorder.

>You work very well with arppegios and voice spacing. My only question
>is, are you going to use these as BAMs?

Some of them are already converted. I make 2 versions of the MIDI, one suitable for BAM, eg, use timpani instead of bass drum, synth snare for snare, etc etc.

>If so, you're going to lose a lot
>of your MIDIorchestration to the wrath that is known as BAMS. You'll
>have to tweak these quite a bit (Remove some of the sound effects and
>replace the weak instruments.)

Yeah, I supremely dislike BAM. I compose for the sound, sometimes they just go into my games Wink

>This one uses a fairly common chord progression, but the sound is
>fullfilling. The inversions you use make it more interesting to listen too.

Yeah, heh. D, E, C, G.. It reminds me of Croc.

>Excellent! Reminds me of FF7 so much. The instrument choice is spot-on.
>The trade off between the harp and the lead synth is a very nice choice.
>This is by far the best in the selection.

I really wasn't expecting that. This was one of the first songs I ever composed. Also, with the recorder Ha ha ha! (Listen again- it's not easy to play, especially on recorder..!)

>Pretty darn good!

Thanks again! Oookay...

Perhaps I should compose longer songs Happy What happens is, it starts of mediocre, but I end up loving the final product and wishing it was longer Big grin

Thanks for the comments Big grin
Velduanga
I heard there were bagels here...

Location: A town away from White Owl, I kid you not, unless he moved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool stuff.

1-3: Nice mixing. Sounds like you threw different ACID loops together. Odd feel though..not too techno, not quite rock. Nice feel for no. 1.

4-5: Very very good use of the sound effects. Ive actually never heard them used in an actual song before. Plus the interesting part is that they have a lite rock/traditional feel to them.

6: This song is just great. Its cool how you got the seashore to match. Plus the recorder melody adds to the layers.

Keep up the good work.

"If it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting twice"-Tom Clancy
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: :P Reply with quote

Yeah, who knew birds and the sea could play in tune?

I think some of my earlier songs are missing something, something I can't quite put my finger on.. I guess most of my compositions are for a little instrument group, I've never really done any huge concerto orchestra compositions.

Notes about drumbeats: All drumbeats were from myself. Not to say they were originally made by me, but being a beatboxer, along with playing the piano and recorder, the drumbeats come naturally Big grin

Thanksyou Raspberry!
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too enjoyed listening to these. The first few sound like remixes of the same theme, but I like the concept of interstellar orchestra, so I payed little mind to this. My personal favorite out of all three versions was Mercury melancholy, which I liked for the bouncy beat... Really, doesn't sound very sad to me. Melancholy probably wasn't the choice of word you want, but I donno'. You are the artists here.
These would sound perfect in a game together if they were like, different stages in the same level. I think, you might want to either make the drum brake shorter or make it faster and more compelling. That might use some work, but maybe it's just me...

The next song, song #4, has an interesting beat and a pretty cool melody. The clashyness (forgive me if I don't know all these musical terms) seems to be working. It's a fresh style to me. :o

The island was the most interesting. The birds sound great! That took creativity and hard work, I am sure. Allow me to dispose of your sweat band, sir. I would be honored.

The final song sounds like it belongs with the other two island songs. Think about that. They both have a sort of water/island feel to them. The last song sounds like an interesting conflict/boss theme to me, if this were in a game... Hope that solves some organizing issues for you.

Finally, I think you should add these to our community song list. Have you been to that on the CP main page? I'd give these fours and threes for sure. I'd highly consider adding these to our growing list.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

I have never visited CastleParadox.com, only /ohr, albeit the community song list. Thanks Happy I'll take a look now.
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: =-X-X-= Reply with quote

All the MIDS here plus more are on the songlist. Knock yourself out Oookay...
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. And I need an asperin now.

What is up with your avatar? Did you draw that stuff?

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Mhm Reply with quote

Yeah I drew most of it. Others I only CG'd.

EDIT: I'll expand on that.

In order:

My photo: Yeah, that's a photo. Pixellized.
Mages by Xandinavian: Just CG'd that.
Yuna X-2 Title: Drew and CG'd.
Angel person: Drew and CG'd.
A Magical Ride: Drew it.
Mantis Mech: Just CG'd it.
Marion&Toby: Drew them Happy
My mum: Drew her.
Flower: Watercolour painted.
Vermilion Storm Title: Drew then CG'd.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayamn, boy!

Now at what point did you actually believe you weren't good with composition? Your work is, without a doubt, amazing! It's obvious by your skill that you've been doing this for quite some time.

Not one time did I suspect your drums to be samples. I don't know about you, but the number one thing that pissed me off when I submitted some of my compositions to some sites was when they'd say stuff like "Great work, man. But you might want to get better samples." I'm sure that as a fellow composer, you know how freaking insulting that is.

I'm very impressed with your work, and with skills like that, you probably are going to be signing your life away to some of the game authors here. Happy

Welcome to CP!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
beau_rl
Go-Goren Ishii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! These are EXTREMELY appealing expecially Mercury and the Kwai Island song. Can you tell me how you composed these and how old you are? I am very jealous.
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beau_rl wrote:
WOW! These are EXTREMELY appealing expecially Mercury and the Kwai Island song. Can you tell me how you composed these and how old you are? I am very jealous.

Haha, really? You like that old junk, heh. Well, I composed them with my good ol' Casio-CTK411 MIDI and Noteworth Composer. I used Audacity to convert to MP3 and also change stuff around like volumes of certain instruments, reverb, echo, equalisation, stereoscopic alteration.

But, I've gone through another breakthrough in composition. I really love this song. But you have to really listen to it to get the full effect.

http://geocities.com/tgfcoder_music/Osmosis-9.mp3

EDIT: I was born in '91.
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your style. These songs are outstanding.
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The intro there is classy! Would make a nice tower dungeon music.
2. This is nice. The harp reminds me of Mario 3.. The rest is pure RPG.
3. Good
4. It's okay but the flute strikes some really akward notes.
5. This is pretty brilliant. Perhaps the ambient stuff is a bit overdone but it's really cool sounding anyway!
6. Quite haphazard but nothing sounds bad indivudally.

Most of these would translate horribly to BAM.. hopefully you don't intend on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: