Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What do you put in your heroes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What attributes does your game heroes have?
Bad attitude
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Mister Nice Guy
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Evil attitude
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Pathetic attitude
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Full of Revenge
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Doesn't play by the rules
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Weak
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Eggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quality I put in one of my heroes, Eggie, is that he is very emotional and very cool. In another one, Mike, he is very protective of his girlfriend and very genist (sort of like racist but not against different colour skin, against different people other than humans). Another is sexual, because when one is sexual, things get interesting.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, Eggie, but that only goes to show how much you need to learn about making believable characters. Your story will be better off when you make your characters something that people can relate to.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common thing in my stories is people who love or respect each other being forced to kill one another. This usually comes from the hero being reckless and getting himself in over his head, or sometimes being too quick to use a gun as a solution to a problem. My heroes are usually on the side of the good guys all the way, but they can screw things up by not thinking their problems through all the way.

My villains are usually businessmen who see human beings as nothing more than a form of currency. I think that that's retaliation against books like "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" where human beings are not given the respect they deserve, but regarded as something cold and dead. 7 Habits reduces people to nothing more than a list of habits, it disregards talent, personality, the heart and emotions as if they were nothing but by products.

So the contrast between my heroes and villains is usually that of a person who regards human beings emotionally, and a person who regards human beings mathematically. Most people are between those two, though I lean heavily towards regarding people emotionally. My characters are similar to the Dustin Hoffman character in Straw Dogs, who protected an innocently slow man inside his house while the neighborhood ruffians tried to break in and kill the man. If Hoffman had given the man over to them, his house would've been in one piece at the end of the movie. Since he chose to protect him, he risked his own life and his wife's life and his home was ruined and he lost his relationship with his wife. It was a mathematically illogical choice, but it was the only thing that was morally acceptable. So my villains are cold and calculating, my heroes are moral and just, sometimes to the point of stupidity.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty neat, Gil. Sounds like you thought this through pretty well. An interesting thing I'd like to see is a person thrust between those two extremes, between emotional and mathematic. The conflict alone would be a precious thing to see, the outcomes would be like the icing on the cake.

Like I said earlier, one of my favorite things to do is write human villains. Villains that, though they think, as Gilbert put it, "mathematically", they still are very emotional. For instance, Eris, the demon master of discord/influence/chaos, enjoys hurting people. She finds no greater joy than that in ruining people's life and hurling them into confusion and hate.

But she wouldn't be very interesting if she was so one-dimensional. Therefore, I gave her a human side. She has motivations. Her life and past is almost as confused as any of her victims. The reason she rebelled with Lucifer was not for loyalty, as it was with her lover, Thanatos, nor was it for glory, as it was with her brother, Ares. The reason Eris rebelled was for hate.

She hated God, not because He had the power Lucifer wanted, but because he loved humans. She hated God because He would die for some measly human, but, as she perceived, would pay no attention to her. She is like a daughter who hates her father because she doesn't think He loves her as much as she would like. She believes that He doesn't think her perfect enough for His love.

Of course, this is all false, but that doesn't matter to her, as it is all according to her perceptions. This has made her incredibly bitter, which makes for a beautifully human villain, and, as I have stated before is one of my favorite things to make.

'Nuff said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You guys put lots into your heroes which is a very good quality in a game producer. I haven't given my full explanation, so I'll give it now.

Lately I have been "borrowing" names from people that inspire me to create a game, sort of a tribute to their lives. For example I took the name 'Lars' from Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich. Just because I borrow the name Lars however, that does not mean I am copying every thing that Lars Ulrich is. I started doing that because I would find a good name for a character like 'Lezzan' and someone would tell me that name sucked. I agreed, but I couldn't find anything better.

For the one of my character's personality I look ahead in the story. I picture myself in the situation one of my characters is in and use my reaction for the characters. That only works for one character. I also use keyword virtues. I think, "Lars has patience and responsibility. He needs a downside...bad language? No...drinking problem? Naw..."

That is how I think. Let's have more of your methods.
Uncommon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it that we put a lot into our characters, or is that you don't put in enough? I particularly put everything necessary to make that character believable, as all characters should be. As a writer, I consider it my sacred duty.

Now, of course, I was young once (well, it was only three years ago, actually), and lacked greatly in characterization and almost everything involving writing. When I started out, most of my characters were based off of people I knew because I was a newbie, and that is what newbies usually do. As I grew in talent, this practice sickened me, and I eventually scrapped it.

However, instead of scrapping all of these characters I had, I renamed them and changed there personalities considerably. The poor-tempered Josh Callahan became the mild yet quirky Caleb Glade, etc. Other characters developed on their own, even without a model to go off of, like the Lamar brothers and Iris. Of course, none of you know who these characters really are, because I haven't had an adequate way of expressing them. Shrug, it shall come in time...

Other characters that I have developed come from other sources, like Greek mythology, and are my own interpretations of old myths and legends. These would include demons, such as Thanatos & Eris, and angels, such as Azrael & Morpheus. These are technically borrowed, but they are still my own, as the characterizations and re-interpretations are mine.

Really what makes writing fun, especially fantasy writing, is thinking of everything, and I do mean everything! Where do these people live? What is the political arrangement of their country? What is the etymololgies of the different names of your world (this one, I particularly like, as I quite enjoy language and linguistics)? What are the standards of living and education? What do these people do in their free time? Why are they such brilliant fighters; why can they use magic; why can humans even use magic anyway? You must consider all of these questions and more to make your world real, which is, really, the goal of very writer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my new project I'm working on I am using a different method of character virtues. My newest project requires communication with other characters. Everything about the character you choose will affect what people say to you. If you are 19, you will be insulted by the older crowd. Your character will be forced to endure this making him a stronger person inside. I've never attempted anything of this sort, so anything could happen.

You'll see what I'm talking about soon enough
Uncommon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGrealm5 wrote:
If you are 19, you will be insulted by the older crowd.

Oh, so we're lowering our standards to common and invalid stereotypes, eh?

You know what's interesting? All the characters I've spoken of so far are villains. Heh, I haven't said anything about heroes yet. Oh well, maybe later. Now it's time for Half A Loaf of Kung Fu!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: