Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

..color reducer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: ..color reducer? Reply with quote

..hi,do you guys know any image editor/paint program that allows us to reduce the color of our images (24 bit down to 256 color,etc) with very good results?..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Joe Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want to do that, I usually use the "Save for Web" feature in photoshop. It's pretty flexible, and it usually gets good results (it even has some dithering that looks good in OHR).

Of course, It's important that you have the right palette, or it will look bad in OHR.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
mamoru
Jack the Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. i use corel photopaint. it's an old program, but it is GREAT for ohr work. all you need to do is get ahold of the color palete for the ohr, or make a screenshot of it yourself and set it up as your 256 color palete. open up a picture in corel photopaint and tell it to reduce it to those colors.
if you want it too, it'll even do color dispersion, which is great if you're goin for a really detailed old style look. you can probably get a copy off of ebay or something. it's also great for making really detailed tilesets and such (like ff6 or mario rpg).
it takes a lil time to get used to but it has a smooth learning curve.
Velduanga
I heard there were bagels here...

Location: A town away from White Owl, I kid you not, unless he moved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 'Indexed Color' mode under Image->Mode. From there you can swap which scheme you want, there are three in which you can reduce the colors to the number you want, and selects colors depending on what algorithm you choose. And if youre saving it for OHR dont forget to switch back to RGB mode.

"If it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting twice"-Tom Clancy
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..hi Veld,it's been a long time.. Razz ..are you talking about Corel Photopain too?..are there any other freeware programs that could do the same?..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint Shop Pro
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Paint Shop Pro, though I found older versions reduce the colors better for some reason.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was talking about The GIMP, which I just wish had better palette support but is otherwise great.
Raekuul
Delicious!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your link's broken, Fen. I also say "the GIMP". (Can anyone direct me to a windows mirror for this?)
phyrfox
Avid Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raekuul wrote:
I think your link's broken, Fen. I also say "the GIMP". (Can anyone direct me to a windows mirror for this?)

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Easy, no?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: