Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A Hitchhiker's Guide To The Universe...Resurrected?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlightlyPyro
Definitive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: A Hitchhiker's Guide To The Universe...Resurrected? Reply with quote

I didn't really want to make this a poll, since I'd have to have about 10 different options, but I've got two questions:

1. Have you played A Hitchhiker's Guide To The Universe?
  2. If so, do you think a game of that type would be a good idea?

Notice I said type. I don't mean that I intend to make the whole game over again with OHR graphics and plotscripting...although it might be interesting. Just a game that is similar to it in that you have to make choices (I'd make it easy...no typing commands) on what you want to do and that choice affects the entire outcome of the game, even the "insignificant" ones.

SIG-ne-tyoor: a person's name written by himself, or a representation of this in a mark, stamp, deputy's handwriting, etc.

sig: that thing above with like totally screwed up messages and smilies and lots of other crap
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Yes
2. Yes
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I want to. Do you have a link?
2. I read a bit about it, and it sounds interesting enough
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Nah, but I'd like to. I've read all the books, and Adams is one of my favorite authors.
2. Go for it, dude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SlightlyPyro
Definitive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I want to. Do you have a link?

Nope, sorry. As a matter of fact...I haven't even played it myself. I have three friends...well...two friends and one dad who have played it through and told me the basics of it. Actually, the only reason I even mentioned that game is 'cause it was the first one to come to mind that well-represents that genre of games, i.e., text-based command games.

This game (if it comes into existence) would be a step above that, e.g., with graphics and cutscenes (with someone else's graphics no doubt...mine would send anyone into shock). Of course, with the invention of renamable characters, it would be possible to go all the way back if there was a string parser...but that really takes the novelty out of the concept. Something tells me I'm rambling...

Thanks for the support.

SIG-ne-tyoor: a person's name written by himself, or a representation of this in a mark, stamp, deputy's handwriting, etc.

sig: that thing above with like totally screwed up messages and smilies and lots of other crap
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you played Hugo's Adventures? They're pretty fun- they are text based/graphical game hybrids, in which you both move around with the keys and enter commands, with a scene on screen.

However, asking the player 50 million 2 choice questions is bound to get annoying, you'd have to restrict it a bit. This would limit the flexiblitly of the game though (well, so would only being able to choose between 2 choices)
SlightlyPyro
Definitive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I figured that, so I was going to make it four choices per necessary choice. That is, I was going to allow the player to wander around and "use" stuff (with the Space Bar), and if anything happened that wasn't something like a description of whatever the thing was, it would have a multiple choice thing. Or if the player was in the middle of a plotscript, at various points (s)he would have certain options that would affect how the plotscript ran and generally how the game played.

No, I haven't played Hugo's Adventures...never even heard of it, actually. I have played the Zork (I think that's the name?) series...or muddled through parts of each one before dismissing them as being ridiculously difficult and a waste of my time...Humbug was another one that was really fun, and really hard, but both of those were just text, plain and simple. I'll keep my eye open for that one though...

Dark SKell Angel
über beer drinker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumthing that'd be really cool would be a game like ... err....I forgot it's name. Basicly it's really old, but the cool part was to perform an action, you had to be in range to perform an action, and then type in the action you wanted to do.

Example: You wanted to turn on the computer. You walk to the computer, press enter and an empty field appears. You write down "Turn on computer" and the computer turns on. Various actions could be perfomed, as pissing in the police parking lot and kissing your boss . Sadly I can't for me life remember the name of the game, but I do know that you were a homicide detective, and at some point in the game you had to cut off wires on a bomb. If I could get my dosbox working properly (aka: working faster ), i'd give it a shot while listning to Arch Enemy or Craddle of Filth :flamedevil:

Old skool RPGexcel member
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and no. It's entertaining, but it gets kind of dull.
Raekuul
Delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Yes

(with someone else's graphics no doubt...mine would send anyone into shock).

Mine too, man. Mine too.
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't totally on topic, but since you folks are talking about Zork and the Hugo's adventures and the ilk, I thought you might be interested.

There is still an active game making community, similar to the OHR community, that creates text-based adventure games. There are also a bunch of utilities like the OHRRpgCE for creating these kinds of games. There's a lot of good amateur stuff in this vein being produced today.

Check out http://www.ifarchive.org for all the downloads or read a beginner's guide to playing interactive fiction.
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<post = offtopic>
Hugo is God.
</post>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: