Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Reading over skimming!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob360
Rusty Vet

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reading over skimming! Reply with quote

if you read my last post make sure you got the point of it!!!

I WAS JUST SAYING BE NICE DONT BE A JERK!

FIRST:
If you say something let it be productive not just being an ass thats what these forums are for!!! dont post something that is just newbie bashing or anything like that.... only stat something if it has a constructive purpose because if u just say go figure it out what does that accomplish because they probably wouldnt have posted it if they hadn't already tried everything they KNOW!!!!! Three quarters of learning is through explanation by other people. Being able to find something complicated out by yourself is a RARE GIFT!

SECOND:
I wasnt trying to be an ass towards cube i was just exersizing my free speech in stating that i was against his locking of that topic because the guy didnt get any help!

ohh and if you ban me id like a good reason other than i am being a dick because im not i am trying to get people to stop going off topic and harrassing others about there lack of knowledge!
A hundred pound man could beat a 300 pound man
-Bruce Lee
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have to agree with Bob on this one. However, I also agree with Cube's actions. Loghecktech was really going about asking for help the wrong way. 20-30 minutes between posts asking for help again because no one responded? I can understand why people didn't help. And Cube pointed him in the right direction. He didn't give Loghecktech the script, but he told him what he'd need to look up. You don't become a better plotscripter by copying and pasting.

Had Cube locked the thread without giving any advice I'd have to side with Bob. Loghecktech now has access to your script, but I hope he reads through it and tries to understand what the script does. It doesn't help him if he simply pastes it into a script and implements it. Cube was trying to get Loghecktech to attempt to create the script.

Had Loghecktech come back with a new post saying "This is my script and I can't get it to work" I would have been very happy. I think that was Cube's intent when he closed that thread.

I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 'part 2' of your post, Bob360, remember that this isn't public property. You are a guest here, as am I and are basically all of the people except those who manage the site. If you post something insulting towards everyone, it is more than likely they will fix the problem immediately.
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what IM said was the reason why I closed the thread. I also explained that in the thread itself. Again, I closed it because there was nothing more to be said. If he wants to actually MAKE a game, he needs to figure these things out. Do you understand that learning one thing at a time is VERY important? If he cannot figure it out on his own, then he obviously is skipping steps. Throw him a script and the person goes "Hey thanks...Now how do I use it?". Learning how to do ALL this on your own is like...The most important part of being a programmer. It is not a rare gift to be able to figure this out on your own. I don't know if you know this, but when you look for tutorials on game programming in C++ (Or any other REAL language), I'm sorry but, you're not gonna find a whole lot. Everyone expects you to fend for yourself in the actual programming world. If ANY of you intend to be part of any REAL game development, take note of what I just said. You might not exactly want to be a programmer, but I can assure you that if you have knowledge on the subject it'll help you out a great deal.

Also, being a programmer also means you must have the ability to look at another person's code. They may have a completely different way of going about something, and YOU must be able to pick it apart and figure it out, WITHOUT that other programmers help.

While I did not say it, I also closed it because Loghecktech was basically spamming the boards. Posting every 20 minutes when it's likely he was the only one viewing the boards at the time is just silly. Because this is NOT a chat, your post will remain there for a very LONG time, and will get answered when it gets answered.

Next, I now want to talk to YOU, Bob, about how you're going about all this. For starters, find the line between "being a jerk" and "being reasonable". Not ONCE did I bash the guy, or say anything that even HINTED that I was being a jerk to him, or I was mad or whatever. I took my freaking time to slowly explain to him, in the best way I could, that it would be best to look into this on his own and build his understanding on how plotscripting actually works. If I gave him the script, I would not be helping him in the long run. I just wouldn't be.

I can refrase a saying that I'm sure you'll recongnise:

"Give a guy a plotscript, and he scripts for the day. Teach him how to plotscript, and he scripts with ease forever".

Yes, makes sense, doesn't it?

Anyhow, I hate to sound like a snob but...I'm afraid no one but the people who run these boards have a say in what the boards are essentially about. These boards are here to make people excited about game development AND to help them with the OHR. Again, one keyword was "help", as in if I gave that guy the script I wouldn't have helped him and so on.

I'd also like to move onto using Private Messaging. If you happen to have a bean to pick with the administrators of this site feel free to e-mail or PM us. Why you want to post this in the OHR General Discussion is beyond me considering this has nothing to do with the OHR at all, but more about you disagreeing with what we do.

And so, in summery. Learning on your own is essential and is not hard. Read carefully and know when one is being a jerk, and when one is not. Know that we're the ones working hard to run this place, and that CN and IM are both dishing out cash in the process for it. In the end, only CN and IM have complete say on what goes on here, and what is right and what is wrong. And use e-mails and PMs. This is a personal issue.

In closing, I'm saying all this because it needs to be said, not because I'm pissed off at you or I want to cause trouble (Although it's a bit hard not to get pissed off considering some things you said, regardless of you "not trying to be an ass").
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm making a second post just because my previous one was too freaking big.

I would just like to take the time to say I did learn everything about the OHR on my own. Not once did I ask for help. I learned plotscripting in 2 days using the stuff James had already provided. And I did this without ANY prior knowledge about programming or scripting. All it took was simple effort. I actually tried. It is not impossble.
Bob360
Rusty Vet

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DID NOT POST EITHER OF THESE TO BASH ANYONE by name i simply used the most recent post i saw! if you notice in the original i used the word we alot meaning the community in general... yes you can learn on your own but it comes with time time most dont have so having pointers and help and even sometimes someone else doing it then looking at it and decoding do you really understand..
-Bruce Lee
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ.

Quote:
I remeber in the old days there were a couple rude people but now it seems like everybody is! people ask simple question and everyone jumps all over them and then closes there threads because they dont have time to teach on a HELP FORUM!!! *COUGH* CUBE *COUGH*
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Who cares?! That THREAD doesn't matter! Let's just stay here locked up for another HALF an hour! The police will be here, and there are TWO DEAD BODIES IN THE STUDY!!!!!"

-Mrs. Peacock (paraphrased of course)

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob360 wrote:
*Cough*Joke Dumbass*Cough*

Need I say more?

Aeth's right. Cube wins, you lost.
Bob360
Rusty Vet

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Cough*Joke Dumbass*Cough*
-Bruce Lee
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, you're fighting a losing battle here. Cube had excellent reasons to close that thread. Spam isn't tolerated. Nuff said.
Rusty Vet

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE TOPIC OF THE POST HAD ALMOST NOTHING TO DO WITH CUBE (while do i feel like this is the dozenth time i have said this)

the topic mainly was
Quote:

FIRST:
If you say something let it be productive not just being an ass thats what these forums are for!!! dont post something that is just newbie bashing or anything like that.... only stat something if it has a constructive purpose because if you just say go figure it out what does that accomplish because they probably wouldnt have posted it if they hadn't already tried everything they KNOW!!!!! Three quarters of learning is through explanation by other people. Being able to find something complicated out by yourself is a RARE GIFT!

if you have something to say on this thread let it be about this part for christ sake
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: