Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

WHY!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loghecktech
OHR Master

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: WHY!? Reply with quote

Why do we all keep passwords on our games? Why don't we all let each other study our design techniques? Couldn't we ALL benefit from that? We could also try to modify each others games and e-mail them back to their creator and see if they like the modifications? Doesn't anyone agree with me? The password to "Logan's Adventures" is "shoot".
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never password my games, and I almost always even include the plotscripting file.

Why people password is obvious: they don't want their graphics stolen. In my opinion, if someone steals my graphics, it is generally my word againt theirs, and in all honesty I'd probably win against any newcommer who came in with a game containing graphics ripped from some of my games.

Also, it makes it so people can't cheat or look ahead at the story and ruin it for themselves.

I don't think they should be passworded, though. There really is only a little to lose, and so much to help others gain (which is why I'll never password my files).
Machu
Righter, a person who rights wrongs

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess people don't want their implementation ideas stolen. I'd be a bit peeved if a ton a newbie games resembling my project came out right after I release it, but then again, I'd be proud that everyone wants to try my ideas. I probably won't password my Metal Slug game, but most of the stuff is in the plotscripts anyway, though I could create a template later.
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
Loghecktech
OHR Master

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who else agrees with me?
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just don't want you to see. Also, "[modifying] each others games and [e-mailing] them back to their creator and see if they like the modifications" sounds like a generally bad idea. That's like messing with The Last Supper, than asking DaVinci how he feels about it. It may justify usage of passwords more than anything else.

I don't use passwords myself, not recently, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have no desire to see FFH or TSSE fucked with. TSSE is unpassworded for the sole fact that people can look through and see how things are done, and it comes with all the scripts as well. Same with OHRadius and FFH-2.

As an aside, at least one person had taken FFH and supposedly altered it to their enjoyment. Not surprigingly, they made every character start out with max stats. As if it wasn't easy enough for them. TS1 also has a set of items specifically reserved for people who hack, that ruins all the fun of the game. 32000 HP and 9999 attack points at the start will do that to you.

As far as I'm concerned though, hack FFH-2 all you want for your own enjoyment. Just don't send me a file and beg me to finish it.
Loghecktech
OHR Master

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other opinions?
Machu
Righter, a person who rights wrongs

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people have opinions, they'll say them. That's the idea behind a message board. Stop demanding our attention.
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
JSH357

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep passwords on my games to keep people like Logheckhoobidyba out of them.

But in all seriousness, if you want to know how something is done in somebody's game you should ask them directly; don't try to rip their work, you filthy communist. Most people will probably ignore/refuse, but if you ask the right person at the right time, they might be in the mood to share the knowledge. If it's a plotscripting feature you want to know about, you can generally ask on the forum and people will answer.
junahu
Custom Title: 45 character limit

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I completely master plotscripting (In about 20 or 30 years time Ha ha ha! ) I'll continue to not aknowledge that passwording even exists. I rarely even remember to switch the debug keys off.

I can see how people can be paranoid of their games being plagerised though. Perhaps someone could make some kind of utility to disable saving on finished .RPG files (obviously people would be smart enough to make a backup copy on their hard drives beforehand). That way people could look at how it works, but would not be able to tinker with it.

Neutral just a suggestion

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only think passwords should go on games
that deserve them. If the games are pathetic,
annoying, or downright need to be eradicated off
this earth, they don't deserve them (but who would
want to go into them in the first place?)

Also pride could be a matter. If you take pride
in a game, you have to remember: some
people are mean and like to plagiarize,
vandalize, and then disguise your game
so it looks like a copy of something
they made with your concepts/art/music etc.
That's why a password should be used.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: The trouble with passwords Reply with quote

Passwords were a bad idea. I regret ever implementing them. Despite my complex password storage sytem, pasword protection is *very* easy to break, and there are at least two password-breaking utilities floating around on the internet right now. in fact, a programmer with only a simple knowledge of how the RPG file format works, can easily figure out how to disable the password protection on any RPG file just by chaning one singe byte.

On the other hand, honest programmers who want to write third-party utilities that support password proection have to implement my complicated, illogical, messy, confusing, and still insecure "scattertable" password storage system. A good programmer can understand it, but it is still a huge pain.

So the password protection system barely provides any protection form dishonest programmers, but makes it very difficult for honest programmers.

Besides, someone who wants to steal graphics can do so every easily without even knowing how to program. GAME.EXE has to exctract data without using the password, so anybody can just take data from PLAYING.TMP

Some would say that poor password protection is better than no protection at all-- in fact, that is the argument that convinced me to add password support in the first place. However, which is better?:

(A) To be nearly unprotected and not know it
(B) To be unprotected, and know it

I have never had a password on Wandering Hamster. Occasionally people do steal my graphics, or use my game as a base for theri game. These sort of imposters are *very* easy to spot, and they earn themselves nothing but disrespect.

I encourage people to leave their RPG files un-passworded, and to include a "README" file with their game that clearly explains what people are allowed to do with the game data.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(A) To be nearly unprotected and not know it
(B) To be unprotected, and know it

::James

A) That's like if you had an old version of Norton, thought you were protected so you downloaded a bunch of files that possibly had virsus because you thought you'd be protected/alerted, and your computer still got raped (what happened to my last HD).

B) I took the old version of Norton off and didn't have any virus protection for almost a year. I knew I was unprotected, so I was extra careful in what I did.

As a result, A) gave me around 298 viruses (so many I couldn't even purge my old HD of them and had to replace it), while with the new one I am virus free (I know because I got the latest version of Norton).

So, it is obvious in my mind which is better. Decite or faith in something that is un-faithful in return is far worse then not having faith at all (OMEGOSH RELIGOUS ANALOGY?!)

*cough*

Quote:
As an aside, at least one person had taken FFH and supposedly altered it to their enjoyment. Not surprigingly, they made every character start out with max stats. As if it wasn't easy enough for them.

::Fenrir

Are you referring to me? I think I mentioned once on IRC that I opened it up and checked out the text boxes to see what I missed...I can understand your feelings though. I would be angry if, after all the time I spent balancing those starting battles in Stop, someone came along and maxed out their characters. It is also bad for the player...I regret wussing out and opening Bliss up becuase I was too lazy to figure out the battles (which, in retrospect, where very well done). Meh.

But, as James said, if someone wants to do it...they will. I know I have, on numerous ocassions, used the un-passwording tool to get through OHR games easier. I guess it is just the incentive to cheat (and that's why Game-Shark has a whole big business), though I dare-say it is more so in OHR games (probably because we know the creators and their character flaws, hence we cannot assume they did everything right and playtested it to the max, unlike "professional" games where we assume they have perfected it, which is rarely the case. Too often are OHR games better balanced and better designed then professional games, but we ignore bad balance in professional games by dubbing them "hard" or whatnot.)

Holy cow, that was like the tangent that wouldn't die. I should write an opinion article or something. Raspberry!

Anyway, yeah. The false sense of security is bad. In fact, if a game is passworded, sometimes that entices to break in and check it out even MORE then if it is unpassworded (ie, if they have something to hide, it must be something good! No, no, no...) If it makes anyone feel better, I'll just totally shatter that sense of security right now.

IF YOU HAVE PASSWORD, I CAN STILL GET PAST IT, AND MORE THEN LIKELY WILL! BWAHAAHA!

What?!?!

LOLPWNED.
Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the password feature since I started using the OHR. It's never been about the graphics ripping. It's never been about secrecy of the "techniques." It's there to preserve the gaming experience intact. It's not necessarily a measure to prevent cheating, but it's mostly to prevent players from looking into text, statistics, map s and graphics they weren't suppose to see. Also the same reason why it's better to not release preview screenshots until the game's out, but I'll leave that for another discussion.

I'm very aware of how weak the password protection is. It's rather obvious. If a game is passworded, I take it as a gesture that the author doesn't want others to peer into the inner working of the game for whatever reasons they might have. What's in the RPG file, I think, is like a diary of the author. It's very personal.
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would password a game for the same reasons Orchard (friend) and Shadowiii do. I just don't want people ruining the game for themselves. If they take the effort to crack the password, fine, but they need to realize that by doing that they admit weakness. Unless, of course, they beat the game 100% without cheating, THEN screw with it. Then I might be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: