Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Copyrights and Copywrongs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabbercat wrote:
almost ever thing Ive ever said about my prodjects are copyrighted and there for I can sue every one thats said that they had that idea first!

please dont repete me Really confused

So, that means that even quoting is copyright infringement!!! WE are doomed! When Mankind runs out of good ideas, the world will blow up!

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be a emoticon for slapping your head Pissed off!

I have a strong desire to kill you all.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How friendly.

But you can't really stop people from copying your ideas. I believe someone even won a court case in the US so that they were allowed to decompile other peoples programs so that they could see how things were done.
And of course, the other people may have had the idea before you mentioned it, or might use it forgetting where they got it from.

But, people do try to think of something original..
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So most of us are pissed because of copy rights, and copy right infringment. This is, indeed, an intelligent conversation...

Hopefully we can all find SOME common ground...

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
madhatter
Best procrastinator in all of North America

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to various things I've read, all stories can be traced back to Greek mythology; all stories in one way or another are similar to a Greek story. So technically it's pretty 'frikkin hard to think of something original, and there's no point to copyrighting it. Maybe we should curl up and die.

I by no means stand by this 100%, this is just my immediate thought.
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an example of copyright infringement: "Oi!I invented Bob and James stole him! "

but if it's very well known thing being questioned like a Beethoven piece , there would be no question of originality and therefor no legal suit.[/quote]
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beethoven is public domain. After a certain amount of time (120 years or something), copyrights are no longer in effect. Thus, we are not infringing upon Greek mythology when we copy stories from them, as they weren't actually copyrighted in the first place and no one really can claim them now.

Anyway, the easiest way to protect something of your own, besides getting a registered copyright, is to prove that you made it, and include dates.
madhatter
Best procrastinator in all of North America

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean that we were infringing on Greek mythology, I meant that it is impossible to think of a story that is 100% original, because humans to some degree think along the same lines.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copyrights expire, I believe, after 60 years. I'm not sure on that, though - it might be 60 years after te death of the work's creator or something. Fyre should know - he's into that kind of thing.
Alphaknight
Mi es El LOCO Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as copyrights expireing yes they do but for instance Sir Artur Conan Doyals family re-copyright his work every 20 years so even if you copyright your work it Will expire but your relitives CAN redo it for you in your absence. As far as the OHR copyrights it is my OPINION that if you are going to use someone elses character or ideas you should at the VERY least ask and mentions them in your game, but that is just my OPINION and we all know the way opinions go. Oh well thats all I have to say.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a limit though on what constitutes stealing an idea. For instance, to use FF6 as an example stealing an idea would be "Group of people join the returners and fight the Empire" not "Let's have an airship".

This is more applicable to the OHR in things like say, a real time system. I think an idea like that should be open to anyone who wants to make it, so long as they write the script themself, not actually steal the script from someone else. But, stealing graphics is always stealing, and for the most part, if you steal a story word for word, then that should constitute stealing as well.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no doubt that stealing gfx/music/code that is not public domain is ripping. But gameplay gets tricky. I think that if someone has already implemented that idea in a game, than it shouldn't be considered theft, just really unoriginal gameplay. But if they haven't impletmented it yet... I suppose you could use general ideas, but if your copying all the details too, that's theft.

Last edited by TMC on Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Camdog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty confident that none of us really need to worry about some big corporation stealing our ideas. The fact of the matter is, story ideas are a dime a dozen; they're the easy part. Game companies have people trying to sell ideas to them all the time, and they usually don't bite simply because this part is so easy. They certainly don't farm the forums of amateur game creation sites for ideas.

Quote:
According to various things I've read, all stories can be traced back to Greek mythology; all stories in one way or another are similar to a Greek story. So technically it's pretty 'frikkin hard to think of something original, and there's no point to copyrighting it. Maybe we should curl up and die.

That's just an absurd case of reductionism. Everything has some kind of similarity to something else, so the more you generalize something, the more things will become similar to it. I remember a friend telling me they had read an author discussing storytelling who broke all stories into two categories: stories where the main character goes somewhere and something happens to him, and stories where the main character stays where he is and something happens to him. This is a rather ridiculous statement, but its still technically true. It definitely doesn't mean that we have no hope of creating something original, though. So don't yell at me that I'm ripping off a Greek classic when my main character goes somewhere and something happens to him.
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camdog has it right. if you abstract it to the level of 'terrorists bomb power plant' it isn't copying. but if it's 'terrorists named AVALANCHE including members named cloud, tifa, and barret bomb a city named midgar's power plant which operates by drawing mako energy from the planet' then that's copying. the difference is whether the thing being copied is abstract or specific.

orson scott card put it another way:

"if your fantasy story is 'a group of nine adventurers get together and go on a quest' then it isn't copying lord of the rings. but if the quest is to destroy a ring of power and at the end of it this happens by someone biting off the ringfinger containing that ring and falling to his doom, then the audience will throw down the book in disgust"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone else put it this way as well:

As long as you change something about it to make it different (better), then it isn't copying.

If our imagination wells are running dry, then drink spareingly. That is what I say... Big grin *Final fantasy gulps...* Oookay...

---msw188 ---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: