Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Need an opinion...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frickin' Genius
This is Tom. He's feeling great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Need an opinion... Reply with quote

Some of you might remember my older brother's newbie, ORBituaries. Well, I've decided to somewhat redo it, with full intent on finishin' it.

http://geocities.com/thelonechimaera/liam.html

These are some pictures of my new heroes compared with Uncy's old ones (he draws alot better now), hosted on his website, of course. Please speak freely about them, and tell me what you think.

Last edited by Frickin' Genius on Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Uncommon's sprites better.
This is mainly due to the fact that they are facing side ways, not their bodies pointing towards the screen, and the faces toward the side.
Frickin' Genius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i understand what you mean, but thats something that I'll try n' fix later.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, no. My sprite's were definitely not better. Orientation is a silly thing to comment on, because it is something no one cares about. Liam is looking for comments on the graphical quality of the sprites. The difference between my old sprites and his new ones are that Liam's have graphical quality.

Please comment regarding this, whether you agree with me on the grahical quality or not. And by all means, if you don't tell us why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, no. Uncy's original sprites were definitely better then the new the ones. Why? Because the old ones looked like they could move, had proper shading, and faces capable of expressions. The new ones are...well, there wasn't a lot of time put into them.

Look at the arms on the purple-haired guy. That's not exactly what I'd call a fighting pose, and those don't look like fists either. Also, the shading style you used is more commonly employed for line work, which, unless your hero is wearing VERY ironed pants, doesn't look like clothing at all. They're not awful, but they don't reach the standards of Uncy's old graphics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Komera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Unc's better because they are looser. The new ones are so unbelievably stiff that I almost expect them to bust at the joints or implode into a minuature singularity (while normally 'minuature singularity' is redundant, what I mean is- a singularity affecting only the hero and nothing else around him). The shading on the new ones could use work, too.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Misteroo
Castle Guard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to agree with them on that... but in true honesty I'm not that crazy about any of them. Uncommon's look a bit more casual and believable. Actually, they're not that great either, but the disproportions are less obvious.

I don't mean to be arrogant or cold when I say this, but I strongly recommend scrapping the sprites and starting over again.

Frickin' Genius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what 'Roo's saying about starting over, but I don't understand how Uncy's have proper shading. They look like their paper-thin! He didn't really use any shading on them.

I'll try working off of Uncy's and see how that works...
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should read Chaos Nyte and Komera's posts then.
Frickin' Genius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hush. I was asking CN, because he said something about it, but gave no explanation.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo, head on over to the thread, "Spriting Contest the Second" and take a look at some of the better entries, such as Friend's cleric. Notice his shading compared to yours. In fact, take a look at all the entries, and see which ones most impress you, and examine them to learn how they did it. It's rather hard for me to explain shading with with words.
Frickin' Genius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i understand what you mean by SHADING, but im just goin' to start over with uncy's this time. it should look better this time around.
(i hope that i can keep the purple hair) hmm...the only shadin' i can see on uncy's is the neck, but thats all it needs i guess...
Seth
Hardcore Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they should be less bulky. The look like the have elephant legs, and Komera made a good point about them being too stiff. Uncy's were, okay... but Neo's have a better quality to them. Will the new char's have the same personalities as the old ones in ORBituaries?
James Paige

Embattled Productions Home
Frickin' Genius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you talkin' bout the new graphics or the ones I put here originally?

the chars will be for the most part, if your talkin' bout how they act n' stuff, 'cuz I'm goin' to keep close to how they were originally intended to be, with more development.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be frank; if you are going to remake a game, why not remake a GOOD game? I mean, that game was done, and the graphical style fit the game. In my personal opinion, that game was decent, but certianly not 1st class material. If you are going to spend the time remaking it, why not make your own game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: